Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

RAM VS Processor

78finn

Hi there,

Just building a new machine - PC - and was wondering what everyone
running Pro Engineer WF 4.0 uses as a decent platform to drive it.

Current Spec is: 3.5GHz Zeon, 8GB RAM, NVidia Quadro FX1500, Windows
Ultimate x64.

I work on very big assemblies (200 parts+), and I do lots of complex
surfacing, mechanism, FEA, and cable work.

My current system (above) is pretty much running at the limit. I'm going to
upgrade the graphics card to something like a Quadro FX5000 or 6000 and
thinking about running Pro Engineer on a Unix operating system.

However, my real questions is RAM. Am I better of going with a super fast
processor...maybe even dual processors or just a huge amount of RAM.

The budget I have for this system is quite large, but I don't want to spend
money on something that Pro E either cannot utilize or that will not actually
make a huge amount of difference to my daily experience using Pro
Engineer.

Anyone bought a system like the above of late?

Cheers

I would say : don't waste money on a processor with many cores, since ProE still uses only one core. (at least forWF5). Still hoping for improvement on this.

Ram is always nice.

For Mechanica you want 64-bit, 16Gb RAM min (current solram max is 8Gb, and this should be no more than 50% of RAM), with the fastest processor, with as many cores as you can afford, because Mechanica does use multiple cores for some parts of the solution process.

Forget about Unix, PTC's roadmap shows they will be dropping support.

Multiple cores will help with assembly retrieval, Pro/E will open each part on a different core. Don't forget the fast disks, 15,000 RPM are worth the extra $.

Just get the better cpu, you can upgrade the ram anytime and it is cheap... This would be my suggestion.

Take the i5 i would say with hypertreading enabled ( there are new i5's that can hyperthread ), and they can also turbo boost to big speeds, also you dont want to get high clock dual cores since they are way less efficient and eventho they work at a high clock they get less work done in a single clock so the new architecture is way more efficient even at lower clock speeds.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back