Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Convert STL surface!

tobbo

Does anyone have a good tip on how to convert an stl surf so i can use it in my model?

I know that if i would haveREX , i could use that. And yes, i could remodell the complete surface, but i want to use the Stl (or an aproximation of it) , thats the main problem...

Is there any good 3part program or is it possible to do any workarounds in pro/E to make it work?

//Tobias

you might want to try Tspline trial along with Rhino trial, i haven't used it myself,but i have read that it can convert faceted data (Quad meshes) to CAD surfaces. see this page.
another link
you need to first conver the stl triangular mesh to quad mesh using rhino <a name="QuadrangulateMesh_command" id="QuadrangulateMesh_command"></a>QuadrangulateMesh command, if you liked to try this approach.

Edited by: solidworm

Hi

Save as shrinkwrap (solid) then can use surface

Bat sometime is qualiti not good (to small surfaces)

regards

Solidworm - thanks, i will look into that! I also heard that Rhino got some kind of function that works like you "drop a surface onto the stl and then the dropped surface takes the shape of the stl...and you can export it asan iges surf. " . Dont know if it works in the trialversion thoo...

rmatija- Thanks, but since its just a surface (eg like a planar surface and not a volume) , it seems like i cant save it as a solid shrinkwrap (which make sense..)

Any more ideas?

//Tobias

Edited by: tobbo

Problem solved!

I found a program on this site that took care of the"problem":

http://www.resurf3d.com/

"Mesh to single NURBS is a stand-alone application that converts an open mesh to a single NURBS surface. It can import .stl mesh file and export nurbs surface to .igs file."

It converted my stl to a "nurbs surface" that i can use for further modelling.

//Tobias

interesting, i'll try that program too, i guess that rhino command is "drape surface" that drops a surface patch on the STL.

I have see that you have resolve your problem of convert STL to step in surface.

Is it possible to you to explain me the way to convert ?

I need to work on the stl part with catia V5.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back