Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Common Config.pro for all users

profreak

Hello Masters

Long time i visited this Heaven. (lost my old ID so got a
new one)

little problem here.

we are a small cluster of 5-6 Users. i want to put
Config.pro on server and want everyone use the same file.

but the problem is every time we start Pro/ it search for
the file at Text folder. i have removed all the configs
from the system, as a result Pro/e starts without any
config option.

please Help

There are several ways to do this. The most common is to run a small batch file at launch to copy the config.pro from a server location into the text folder. There are several advantages to this approach:

1. The config file in use and the 'master' file are different. If a user changes the file in the text folder, it will get over written at the next launch with the latest one.
  2. You can apply write permissions to the master folder on the server so that only the admin can change the file.
  3. Changes made to the server file will be implemented in the user's machine automatically.
If you want to give your users a way to apply their own settings in addition to the company settings, you can use either the user's 'home' directory (as defined by Windows environment variable) or the 'Start in' folder (as defined by the Pro/E launch icon).

Thank you for your reply Doug
can you please Explain the above mentioned process in more
detail. it will help me, and of course the other users a
lot.
and pleas can you write the batch file for me (us)

smiley32.gif

I really can't take the time to write the batch file for you, but there are several sites out there on batch files. Google 'batch files' and you'll get lots. Besides, I don't know your specific configuration.

The command you want to use is 'xcopy'. Open a DOS prompt (start -> run -> cmd) and type 'help xcopy' and you'll get a lot of good info.

That should point you in the right direction.
smiley4.gif

HelloProFreak,

here is my batch file content:

IF "%PTC_WORK_DIR%"=="" set PTC_WORK_DIR=C:\PTCWork
IF "%PTC_CONFIG_DIR%"=="" set PTC_CONFIG_DIR=v:\Proconf\Proe-package
REM IF "%PTC_MCAT_PIPE_DIR%"=="" set PTC_MCAT_PIPE_DIR=C:\PTC\pipefittinglib
IF "%PROE_LOAD_POINT%"=="" set PROE_LOAD_POINT=C:\PTC\proeWildfire4

copy /Y %PTC_CONFIG_DIR%\config.pro %PROE_LOAD_POINT%\text 1>NUL 2>NUL
if "%ERRORLEVEL%" == "1" goto COPYFAILED

chdir %PTC_WORK_DIR%
call %PROE_LOAD_POINT%\bin\proe1.bat

:END

I don't see the command for "COPYFAILED", does it go into an endless loop if the errorlevel is 1?

It works fine in our system.

just copy this and make a .bat file.

and replace "v:\Proconf\Proe-package" bij your server location of the config.pro file.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back