Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Running ProE on Dell FX100

AnWi

Is someone running ProE on a server and usingFX100 client?
Is this useful or do you get better performance with locally installed CAD stations.

I looks like a neat installation but if it suffers from performance issues it will not be very useful.

Any reply will be helpful

Thanks.
AnWi

Hi there AnWi

I am assuming you are using a Dell Rack Workstation rather than a server as there is a significant difference. At any rate, only a certified platform should run ProE.

Assuming the above is the case then the performance at your screen depends on the configuration of the system AND the available network bandwidth and performance. If you are pushing the pixels across a network full of traffic then you will see performance degradation. Dedicating a subnet obviously helps.

regards

Rik

Thanks a lot.
I do not have any of this yet. All this is for future planning.

We are currently running Dell Precision Workstations and ProENGINEER Wildfire 4 for all CAD development.

It is very interesting though to use thin clients but I'm afraid that the performance will be very different than having a dedicated workstation.

Thanks
Anders

Anders, the difference with the FX100 is that it isn't a thin client. Its a zero client which mean that no operating system is running, nor does the little portal box have to try and drive high end graphics. All the grunt work is done on the rack workstation (R5500) with a graphics card of choice.. the remote accesscard in the R5500 merely does a hardware compression and encryption of the pixel informatio and converts it into ip packets, then sends it to the FX100 portal, which, in turn does a hardware decompression and decryption. Because its hardware driven its very fast. Giving it the network bandwidth and performance is the key. You can test it by simply connecting a 50m network cable between the remote access card in the R5500 and the FX100 portal... of course that isn't reality on your network, but shows you that from that point onwards any performance degradation is network based. Over very long distances (many kilometers) you will get latency building up too, but the portal device assists by having local cursor control for the mouse.

regards

Rik

I am running a Dell R5400 with Win7-64 and a FX100 on the desktop. It has a Nvidia Quadro4000 card in it.

As for Pro/E, we have it installed on the network and only have to update 1 copy when we go to a new build. All users have a shortcut pointing to the server for the application. Is it slower than a local load, yes, but not enough to offset the install issues with 15+ workstations. I used to work for a company that had 200+ workstations with WF2 all installed locally. It would take me weeks of working after hours to upgrade them to the latest build.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back