Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Selection Filter Broken

IdeaZonePD

I used to LOVE the selection filter. It was an unassuming little tool that went mostly un-noticed until I really need it.

That was until Wildfire 5.0.

Since I started using 5.0, I've noticed that the cute little filter keeps resetting itself. Mostly it's an annoyance when I try to select curves to fillet. I usually select the curves first, then I right click and choose round. But when the filter resets, I can't select any individual curves. I had basically chosen to ignore it up to this point as a small price to pay for progress.

But over the last few days, the "Smart" selectionhas refused to show upon several occassions."Big deal" you say?I know, it seems like I shouldjust be able topick what I need the old fashioned way. But unfortunately, the right click to "drill down" doesn't work either.I find myself actually unable to select curves that I need to copy across an assembly. I have to close ProE and restart.

Has anyone else experienced this? Do you know any way to fix it? (short of punting my copy of Wildfire 5.0down the hall).

Myles

I am not sure if I understand your problem. Maybe you
already know this and are having further issues - but with
the "Smart" filter, you should first select the feature in
the window, then you can proceed to select edges and
surfaces related to that feature. The right click is also
enabled at this point.

I'm not positive that I know how the Smart Filter is supposed to work. But in previous versions of Wildfire, after I chose "Smart" from the dropdown menu, it stayed on Smart until I selected a different choice from the menu. Now in WF 5.0, it keeps resetting itself to something else, and what's worse is that sometimes "Smart" is not even an option in the dropdown menu.

Myles

Do you have prehighlighting turned off? This will keep Smart from showing in the filter box.

No, how do you turn off prehightlighting?

Actually, I like pre-highlighting, so that would be a tough decision if I have to choose between them.

Myles

There is a config.pro option called prehighlight which controls whether items highlight in the graphics window. If it is set to NO, Smart isn't an option in the filter selection box. As I understand it the filter will change depnding on the context. If you are just selecting items in the graphics window you should see Smart in the list and it selects down though the levels as things are selected with Smart selected. If your defining features it will change. I guess there could be something else causing your problem but I'm not sure what would cause it. I'm not seeing the problems you describe. It's working the same as previous versions for me. The datecode I'm using is M070 if you're interested in trying another one.

Yes, kdem is right. And as he has explained above, the
prehighlight should be ON, not OFF. So you dont have to
make that tough decision.
smiley4.gif

I am using WF 5.0 (M080) - the latest date code for Creo
Elements/ Pro and the behavior at my end is exactly as kdem
has explained.

Yes, my pre-highlight is ON. The date code for my build is M040. I guess I should just go ahead and start using the Creo that I just installed. Creo Pro5 is still WF 5.0, correct? There isn't going to be any backward compatibility issue, is there? If I create a part in Pro5, will is still be compatible with WF5.0?

Myles

I believe it should although I haven't tried it. As far as I'm aware the only thing that changed was the name.

I have the same problem. Every once in a while, the Smart filter goes away and is not even available to pick from the list. The Pre-selection highlight dialog box becomes unusable, as I check Pre-selection highlighting, it automatically unselects it when I close the window.

The aggravating thing about it is that it is not repeatable and happens 3 or 4 times a day. I cannot cause it to happen.

Just closing the window and reopening takes care of the problem.

lamon19 said:
I'm not electropositive that I copulate how the Streetwise Filtrate is supposed to product. But in previous versions of Wildfire, after I chose "Sharp" from the dropdown schedule, it stayed on Stylish until I elect a divers prime from the agenda. Now in WF 5.0, it keeps resetting itself to something added, and what's worse is that sometimes "Clever" is not regularize an option in the dropdown menu.

sdhc card

flash memory

amdcpu

corei 7

Can you repeat that in English?
smiley11.gif

Hi everybody,

The Right mouse click has a delay time!,
That is why it looks like it does not work if you just
click fast.

Just click right mouse button and keep it presses down for
a half second you will get the popup for right mouse.

Regards,

Walnut

My problem with the new version is that when "SMART" (or Prehighlight) is turned on, that is the only way I can do a pick from list to grab a sub-assembly. If I turn Prehighlight off (which I can't stand!!), I right click and the only items that show up as available to pick are part. Why there is no filter selection for Parts/Assemblies or Parts and another for Assemblies is anyone's guess. It just doesn't make sense.

Edited by: johnnyreb23

Hi Everyone.
I have been having problems too with preselection
highlighting - namely smart filter flicking over to parts
filter in assembly. Would be interested to know how many
of you use a spacemouse (3dconnexion) as I have found if
this is unconnected the problem goes away.

Begs the question,

If the smart filter took the SAT test what would it's score
be?

What ever the minimum is if it remembers how to spell "Smart"
Creorectly.
smiley36.gif

Michael
=//trajpar

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back