Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Camshaft Analysis

zjaved2

I have been assigned to perform a dynamic loading analysis of a camshaft both the normal one and the overhead ones. Now if anyone will be kind enough to answer these questions i would really appreciate it:
1) is there a difference between dynamic loading and a simple stress analysis of rotating camshaft?
2) will the type of followers being used in the camshaft affect the stress analysis

any help will be really appreciated

zjaved2,

Could you please explain what you mean by "normal one and the overhead ones."? There are 5 main types of engine valve trains (if this is the system you are working with). Four of these are "overhead" and one is "cam-in-block", or "push-rod". If you call "simple stress analysis of rotating camshaft" the analysis of the cam-follower using F=M * A, then there can be a big difference from it to "dynamic loading". It is very speed-dependent.

If you investigate typical Hertzian contact stress calculations for various geometries, you'll find the answer to your second question. For example - flat on cylinder, cylinder on cylinder, crowned cylinder on cylinder, etc.

@ Kaz Z06
that is exactly what i mean by the normal and overhead ones ( i am sorry i didn't know the correct term), and as for the stress analysis goes, i am not sure about that for my group members have just asked me to do it using pro e ( which i am still learning how to use ). So i guess i will have to do the dynamic loading analysis. And can you please clear whether these can be performed with pro e or not.

Once again really appreciate all the help.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back