Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

turn models into solids

yh but it didn't work. They don't even look like solids models this time, they are jst lines. only solidworks opens the geometry but it tels me that it isn't a sold.

If it were a simple geometry, your post might have helped. I know literally have lines which don't do much.

SolidWorks Has an option button when you select File Type from Files of Type list for STL. It defaults to Graphics image and not actual geometry.

ProE shouldn't have that issue.

Michael

If all you get are lines, then you need to use those lines to make surfaces, then you can make a volume(s) from the surfaces. Used to have to do this all the time in the bad old days - you youngsters have it way too easy most of the time. If Pro/E won't import it, then try Independent Mechanica. It has its own geometry engine, and this is what I used to use all the time - Hours (or days or weeks!) of 'fun'. However I imagine you can do the same kind of thing in SW. On the other hand go to the source of the file and try to get a better one - native CAD whatever it was, or STEP

i don't know what software was used to create them.
If I knew how, I would put the hours and weeks in, but i don't. I would be very grateful if you could tell e how. Everyone keeps saying you got to remodel the geometry etc, but that means nothing to me.
All I have is the proE student edition and if necessary the solidworks student edition, but I have never used the later before.

daniella said:
i don't know what software was used to create them.
If I knew how, I would put the hours and weeks in, but i don't. I would be very grateful if you could tell e how.
How to do what? How to remodel the part using the limited geometry you're able to import?

Everyone keeps saying you got to remodel the geometry etc, but that means nothing to me.
Use the imported geometry (curves, points etc) to create new surfaces / solid geometry. Without seeing the model and its complexity, I'm not sure how else to answer you.

Edited by: neuronex

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back