Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Lag when moving items

jdavis

<div style="margin-left: 40px;">I apologize if this isn't in the most appropriate forum, and for my ignorance as I am not a ProE user.

Intermittently, several users are experiencing tremendous delays when dragging dimensions, tables, or even just individuals lines. It will take several seconds for the movement to catch up with all of the input the mouse provided.

The users that suffer from this are using Quadro FX 580 cards on dual extended desktop displays. I have tried both the latest and PTC-certified drivers on the nVidia site. Neither seemed to help.

I noticed that if I disabled the 2nd monitor the problems went away completely. I also noticed that if I configured the desktop to SPAN across the bother monitors (not just extending to the 2nd monitor), then the problems were more-or-less gone. Even when spanning, there are some very minor delays but it is usable.

So, I thought spanning the desktops was the solution; however, ProE would then open every window across both monitors since it's treating it like a single display. Despite my attempts at changing window_scale to attempt to represent 50% of the screen width, it still didn't work. I tried various combinations with the graphics option as well, but no luck.

I feel these are my options to eliminate the lag:
</div>
  1. Span the desktop across both screens, and figure out how to force ProE to open windows only on 1 monitor
  2. Find the proper drivers + video card settings
  3. Some combination of unknown ProE config options
<div style="margin-left: 40px;">This is all under a WF4 M100 environment.

Thanks for any help.
</div>

All I'm saying is that if nothing else is working it may be that for that configurationusing a different graphics card may give different results. It may also be that for what you're doing using dual monitor supportwith that card may cause problems. We've had problems in the past with other programs and the response we got was that using dual monitors was not recomended. You also might want to give more information about your system.

Sorry, forgot to check this thread.

The machines aren't standard, but for the most part it's Intel dual core 3Ghz, 4GB, 7200rpm hdd machines.

I agree that a different hardware setup may eliminate the problems, but that's not an option for our users. Using an equivalent ATI card (FirePRO/GL V3400 through V3700) seems to be ok, but for whatever reason the FX580 cards don't like extended desktop ProE sessions.

I feel my most likely option is the window_scale (or some other combination of config options) to force ProE windows to open at 50% of the desktop when using a spanning desktop.

Is there something additional that needs to be used with window_scale to make it work? No amount of changing window_scale appears to affect the ProE windows.

I feel your pain JD. I have a new HPZ800 with FX3800 card in it and I am getting "lag" too when moving a dimension. Also we have drawings where we bring in a bitmap image of a supplier print and put it inside our drawing border. Whenever I move the mouse, the image dissappears. How messed up is that.

Are you using the /3gb switch in the boot.ini? If so, I have noticed that the nVidea cards don't like the uservar set to 2900. If you have this set, try setting it to 2800 or lower.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back