Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Bolts (= Fasteners) Manufacturing

BlackEye

Hi everyone

I am new here. I tried to look if the forum has any subsection called something like ''Others'' or ''General Enginnering'' but doesn't have so I chose this subsection of the forum as the most appropriate to my question.

I am very aware that I AM on the forum which belongs to PROE and not general mechanical engineering. What I would like to ask is not really related to PROE but while going through a few topics, I think someone here might know the answer.

I am searching for explanation on the topic How Bolts (fasteners) are being manufactured. I have been searching a lot on google, also ''google schoolar''. I have checked many articles as well as the following books:

- 2005 SAE Handbook
- Structural integrity of fasteners by Pir M. Toor
- What every engineer should know about threaded fasteners, materials and design by Alexander Blake
- Fasteners Handbook by Julius Soled
- Handbook of bolts and bolted joints by John H. Bickford and Sayed Nassar

But couldn't find any relevant resource, mainly because of two reasons:

- I would like to have a good description to study on all 5 processes;

cold heading
thread rolling (adding the picture below)

ingramatic.jpg

milling
thermal treatment
surface treatment

but whatever I found that might be useful, didn't have all 5 processes described. I cannot do anything with just 3 or 4 of them.

- even if I wanted to use the lack of descriptions, the size of content was too small. I would like to get at least a few pages per each process to learn how are bolts made in each of them.

So what Im searching is a simple manufacturing description of bolts.

Tried to check also on amazon's if is there any good book. All I found is some ''carroll's book'' but, after checking the preview of the content, inside is nothing what I need.

I know, I might look very weird asking totally different subject (but still related to mechanical engineering and still related to manufacturing) on proe forum but since the forum is active and have a many members, someone might reply with any comment where should I look or which manufactury, that will be willing to reply via e-mail, should I ask.

Thank you,

kindest regards.

krow72 not really what I look for, because the processes are missing and thread rolling is described either wrong or with different machines. In my first post I showed the example of machine. Thank you anyway.

dmt63 yes they have own subsection for bolts engineering (manufacturing). I made a post there a while ago. Actually I asked for a list of failures that could occur, while bolts are being made, from both point of view - process (all 5 processes included) and product. I mentoined that I would like to have some description about how bolts are manufactured. Someone provided me some articles but the problem was the same to the ones (articles) whos I found on my own; either too short explanation or not all processes included.

Before I decided to try to ask on this forum, I saw that many members asked some specific questions related to both bolts and proe (used the search feature on your forum). So I got opinion if they know how to design them in some bigger proe project, for sure they will know how bolts are being manufactured and point me to the location, with big enough content (no need too big, even 5 pages per process is enough) so I could learn and use it.

Edited by: BlackEye

Most people in this forum DO NOT KNOW how to manufacture or design bolts.
The manufacturing forum that you posted in is related to a module of Pro-e called Pro Manufacturing which is related to CNC programming.

I would suggest that you contact an actual manufacturer of bolts for more information.

Edited by: dross

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back