Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

.prt files wont open

Texas_Drafter

we are running proe wildfire 2.0. we recently purchased another company and are trying to integrate their files. they have a huge amount of files with extensions .prt, .drw, .mdf that we cant open. the company did not have any proe software on their computers. is there another program that uses those extensions or is there some kind of viewer i can download to open them. i have searched on teh internet and cant find anything. any help is appreciated. thanks.

Years ago Solid Works used just a (.PRT) and (.DRW) file extension now it's (.SLDPRT) & (SLDDRW) I also think Unigraphicsuses the (.PRT) file extension.

File extensions .prt and .mdf are used by Unigraphics. The .mdf was the NC post-processor file for their GPM system. It was replaced about 12 years ago by UG-Post.

Copt off one of your prt files and change the extension to txt and open in notepad. Chances are you will see a header that will show all the metadata for the file.

Hope this helps.

could be Unigraphics NX, for the .prt.

Or it could even be Pro/E newer release than your company uses.

In such case you can use PTC's GCRI (Granite Cross release Interoperability) to open (not edit) the new version files of Pro/E.

However, the best option is to buy / upgrade to a newer release of Pro/E.

WF4 is stable and quite latest.

we figured out the files are for IDEAS. we could not get the program open for a while but then we created a small network with all their computers and suddenly everything worked. we are able to open them now. thanks so much for everybodys help.

*.prt and *.drw files were the old CADKEY system. Not sure what happened after they became KUBOTEK...don't know if this helps...

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back