Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Transparent with decal?

Masshole

First of all I am new to this board but I have been reading for a long time whenever I have problems in Pro. I have found a lot of good info here so thanks to all that contribute.

I recently needed to model a net hung between some poles at an awkward angle. My plan was to use an edge blend to create the net "surface" and then apply an appearance to the surface to make it look like a net. That's where I ran into problems. The best way to describe what I am trying to do is with this picture that I stole from skwasim_smile.

moz-screenshot.png
View attachment 4940

It looks like there is a 100% transparent surface with a decal of the grid pattern on top. This is very similar to what I am trying to do with my net surface. I tried making my net as a .gif file with an alpha channel which sort of worked. I was able to put it on as a decal and have the underlying color show through the open areas of my net but couldn't get the transparency. When I assign the GIF file as my texture the areas with alpha channel appear white not transparent. Also I can't add transparency because it applies to the texture, decal, etc. all at once.

Is it possible to solve this problem in Pro? If so please let me know how.

Thanks

I have come across this too. My fix was to apply to each
surface individually, and size in x,y and rotate to you
get a suitable pattern match between each patch.

Be sure to save your gif along with your texture and
lighting, it's easy to lose track of it.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back