Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

How to fix this tool path

pgf545

I posted this on cnczone and someone over there suggested that I post it over here. I am having trouble understanding what to do to fix this type of tool path problem. I am a new user and don't have any previous cam experience, we do almost all of our programming at the machine. What we couldn't do on the machine my boss would do with the Pro. Since he has gotten super busy he sent me to a intro to WF3 and the machining classes so that i could take over those duties. I have gotten several programs done and been mostly satisfied with them but this one was a little more confusing. I did a surface sequence using a window. the issue I ran in to was when the tool path wrapped around the center section it misses some areas causing it to leave a rough finish. I was able to sand out it no problem but I would like to be able to not have to do much hand work. I would like to have a nice part right off the machine. My thought afterwords was to run the surface sequence short of the center and then do a trajectory around that area. I did do a test using a finish sequence but it has a lot of retracts and I wasn't to pleased with that path. I am still really green and tend to learn every time I mess with it. I took the class last simmer but since we only used the WF for complex parts I only get a few parts a month to play with it.

Bernie
View attachment 4878

Hi, it would help to know exactly how you defined the surface milling sequence and the window being referenced. Any way you could attach the files?

What files are you looking for? Or maybe I could explain it better? I am not sure what I need to tell you.

Hi, I meant attach the mfg assembly files. It is hard to say how an area would be avoided without seeing how the nc sequence was defined and the window was defined etc...

Easiest way to collect all of the files is to select File > Backup... from inside the manufacturing window. Make sure you select an empty directory to backup the files. Then, simply zip up all of the newly created files.

That process makes sure we get all of the required files.

Once we get the collection of files, _then_ we can start to help answer your question(s).

-tsl

Hope this is correct. If it is not let me know and I will try again. I am not a computer guy....I amjust a machinist...
smiley36.gif
. Thanks for the help. I have actually completed this part but am using it to increase my knowledge in the manfacturing software. It is typical of the parts we build so I am sure what I learn here will be applied to other programs.

Bernie

2011-01-13_164357_model.zip

I just created a workpiece quickly and looked at your surface milling nc sequence in VERICUT and it didn't seem to be missing any area, thought it might be tool chatter.

I then noticed you have the default accuracy set. For MFG assemblies, you should always use Absolute Accuracy setting (this is a config.pro option, go to Tools > Options and enter ENABLE_ABSOLUTE_ACCURACY, set the value to Yes).

You have a tolerance of .0002 on the nc sequence but your accuracy is not low enough. If you have this tolerance value then you should set a model absolute accuracy setting of .0001 for example.

You will notice different CL data output if you compare your output versus changing the model absolute accuracy to .0001

Edited by: seth505

Ok I went to the config.pro and changed the enable_absolute_accuracy, also I did a work piece and I still see the spot. It does go around that area but retracts adn replunges causing a slight missed spot like in the pictures. I have a better time seeing it in the play path in the machining sequence section. I call it yo-yo effect around that area. I am still very green at this so anything else you see let me know, I have only done a half dozen or so programs. Also I forgot to tell you that I get the .prt models from our drafting dept or the engineer so I usually don't mess with them.

Bernie,
Couple of suggestions.
Using volume milling (window or Volume) is great for cutting away all the extra material leaving min for finishing.
Then I would rough the surfaces (pick only the ones from the flange flat and big rad), then do a trajectory to clean to clean the fillet around the center and do a final clean up on the surfaces again.
I think this will make for a lot shorter program and maybe a little cleaner.

Let me know if you need help. You can contact me at [email protected]

I only have WF4

Tony

Edited by: TonyJager

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back