Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

WF2 on Windoze 7

dr_gallup

Well my trusty Dell Precision 380 died earlier this week. Motherboard failure, just blacked out. It's on backorder so I was given a new HP Z800 with windoze 7 and Office 2007.

So far I absolutely hate all 3. Actually, the HP is not that bad, just slower than my old machine. Windoze 7 is ridiculous, I finally found the "optimize for best performance" button which got it into a semi usable state. The worst is Orifice 2007 with the absurd ribbon interface but I've figured out how to get it out of the way, I just have to use the one piddling little toolbar that MS will let us configure.

But enough bitching, here is my question: Where is Pro/E WF 2 looking for my user config.pro file? I tried putting it in C:\Users\DGallup but Pro/E is not reading it. Everything else in Pro/E seems happy. I may have to make a macro to load it myself.

That should be the correct folder to place it. It works with WF3 and WF4 but don't have access to WF2 to try.

Well, WF2 is not finding it there. Does anybody know if there is an environment variable I could set to get WF2 to look there?

Pro/E will look in 3 places for you config.pro. Been the same for years.

1. The loadpoint/text folder
  2. The user's 'home' directory, as defined by Windows environment variable
  3. The startup folder, defined by the 'start in' field of your Pro/E launch icon.
The easiest to change is #3. Just right click on your Pro/E launch icon and set teh 'start in' field to 'C:\Users\DGallup'.

FWIW - I love Windows 7 over XP and Office 2010. Some oddities to get used to, but overall I find them much better.

dgs said:
The easiest to change is #3. Just right click on your Pro/E launch icon and set teh 'start in' field to 'C:\Users\DGallup'.

FWIW - I love Windows 7 over XP and Office 2010. Some oddities to get used to, but overall I find them much better.

Changing the "start in" field is definitely the way to go, I use it and it worked also with WF2 on Win7. I agree with you that Win7 is a good OS, much better than Vista, and actually has some nice touches like Aero Snap that makes it better than XP for the way I work... Office 2010 interface can't be worse than Office 2007's which was an absolute crap and looked like a toy (or like a solidworks inspired word processor, just to start flaming ;D)

Paolo

I want Pro/E to start in the network solid modeling project directory, not some place on my C drive. I'm not going to put my personal config files where everybody else is also starting Pro/E. I want Pro/E to find my home config just like every other OS I have ever worked with (and it's a long list from way before Windoze was a gleam in Mr/ Bills eye).

There is no user's 'home' Windows environment variable. How do I create it?

I'm not sure how to change the environment variables. I'm not 100% sure that 'HOME' is the precise variable name either.

Sorry I can't be more help, I've never messed with the environment variables.

Another alternative would be to create a mapkey to load your config file and then create a trail file that runs that mapkey. Then, define your start up command to use the path to the trail file as a variable like this:

c:\path\to\proe c;\path\to\trail\file

Here's a sample trail file that we use to run the mapkey 'lrm' at startup in WF3 & WF4. We used the same file in WF1 & WF2, so it should work fine. Just replace lrm with your mapkey text.

------------------------------------------------------------ -

!trail file version No. 1151
!Pro/ENGINEER TM 2001 (c) 1988-2001 by Parametric Technology Corporation All Rights Reserved.
~ Select `main_dlg_cur` `MenuBar1` \
1 `Utilities`
~ Close `main_dlg_cur` `MenuBar1`
~ Activate `main_dlg_cur` `Utilities.psh_util_macros`
~ Select `mapkey_main` `list_mapkeys` \
1 `lrm`
~ Activate `mapkey_main` `RunButton`

I was able to try with WF2 and it did load from the home directory. Aside from being logged on as thespecified user and the file being named config.pro I can't tell you what the problem could be. As far as hardware and software I tried it on a DELL Precision but had to install the 32-bit version of WF2 (Windows 7 wouldn't run the 64-bit installer).

I tried WF4 and it's not loading the home config.pro either. Here is where the WF4 help says it looks:

Login directory - This is the home directory for your login ID. Placing your
configuration files here lets you start Pro/ENGINEER from any directory without
having a copy of the files in each directory.I'm using the 32 bit versions, we have no need for 64 bit.

Strange as it is working for me on win 7 64bits with WF4
I do not have a home environment but a homedrive and
homepath

I was able to try with WF2 and it did load from the home directory. As far as
hardware and software I tried it on a DELL Precision but had to install
the 32-bit version of WF2. I do not accept a home ambiance but a homedrive andhomepath.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back