Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

PDM Amateur

All,
i am so new to the PDM on pro E. I would like to start
working on that but i got lots of questions regarding
Windchill and Pro/Inralink. I am using wildfire 4
Whats the different between the two??
How can i create a server? should I contact PTC regarding
this?
Also, is there any additional Software to be installed?
Any license should be acquired from PTC?

Thanks alot,
Regards,
Hasan

Intralink will handle your CAD files, while Windchill will also handle your product information and project management. In other words, IntraLink is a PDM and Windchill is a PDM and PLM. Which one to use will depend on your needs. PTC recently announced the release of both Windchill 10 and IntraLink 10 for next year.

As for creating a server... you'll need the licences. The installation of both normally require a file vault and an Oracle database. The latest releases allow to use MS SQL Server as the database and allow for installation in a Windows 2003 server. IntraLink will also require the installation of its server files and a client software installed on each workstation. Windchill is web-based so it will require its method server (Windchill Services), an Apache server, Tomcat, Aphelion unless you have another LDAP server, the InfoEngine server and the Java SDK. I have only seen this running on Unix, but they can now be run in Windows 2003 server boxes. We have a project for testing Windchill running on Windows servers, but it's still in the early stages so I can't provide much information.

Please visit PTC's site on Windchill. You can then download a PDF brochure on the difference between Intralink, PDM/Link and Project-Link.

All the above are part of Windchill. Intralink is mainly used for CAD data control and baselining e.g. the Revision and Version control, Status of part like.. Under development, Locked for editing, Under approval, Approved, Released and so on...

Intralink is a subset of PDM-Link. This becomes necessary when you are operating in a multi-user environment and need to manage the data without data clashing and safely sharing it accross the teams or Projects.

visit http://www.ptc.com/products/windchill/for more and refer to the topic sheets on the right.
Edited by: SRINIVASANIYER1

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back