Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

decrease filesize?

tobbo

I got a bearing that i want to import to pro/E and use in my .asm . No problemby doing that , the only thing i react on is that when i convert this step to a ".prt" , it becomes HUGE. The stp is about 256kb, and the .prt is 29000kb.

I tried to import it as a .asm and then do a shrinkwrap and export it as neutral, and reimport it to pro/E , but the size still remains...

Also tried to import it as .asm and save it as stp and import as a part, same result.

Import it as a part - still huge

Is there some way to import this to pro/E as a PART (not .asm) but to a more normal filesize?

Any suggestion?

//Tobias

2010-12-21_044343_61807_2_14b.zip

(yes, its a simple modell, and i know i can model it myself, but i would like to be able to import direct from the manufacturer...)
Edited by: tobbo

I started a new part, then did insert>shared data>from
file.

I got a 831kb file in WF3...

It's hard to imagine it being different in WF4 or WF5, but
I can check that tonight...

Interesting bad_geometry.ger...
Original import surfaces have been split into highlighted
pieces due to G2 discontinuities.
Edited by: spidernate

Thanks Nate!

I just tried it again. New part - insert-shared data- from file (ok on the placement) and then a backup to disk. Gets me a partfile of 29297kb.

If i import the step by dragging in into the pro/E window (not getting my startpart thoo) the file is 29247kb.

Is there some config setting for the quality when you import?

I

I dragged it into WF4 as a part & got a 25 MB file, I tried again as an assembly and got 2 race files of 8 MB each and 19 ball files of 600 KB each.

I started with a new completely empty part, set the accuracy to absolute .001 mm and imported the step file. That gave me a 29 MB part.

I started with a new completely empty part, set the accuracy to absolute
.050 mm and imported the step file. That gave me a 29 MB part. I checked the accuracy after import and it's set to 5.5694e-06 mm!

I changed the accuracy to .001 mm and .010 mm, still 29 MB!

I saved it as a STEP file from Pro/E and reopened it as an assembly - 21 part files of 600 KB. I opened the new STEP file as a part and it made one 7 MB part file.

You could redefine the imported assembly to use a pattern of the first ball and get the file size down to about 2 MB total. Still pretty big.

We also used above config option in WF4. I don't remember getting an invalid option for that.
Why is it not valid? It is listed in available config options for WF4.

I noticed that intf_in_external_accuarcy was not valid for WF4 anymore. Here is what we used.

! ***************
! * 3D Exchange *
! ***************

intf_in_external_accuracy yes
fix_boundaries_on_import yes
intf3d_in_close_open_boundaries yes
intf_in_layer_asm_dialog yes
step_export_format ap214_cd

We still use above for WF5 and opening in M070 as a part the file is 1.5 MB.

magnusod said:
We also used above config option in WF4. I don't remember getting an invalid option for that.
Why is it not valid? It is listed in available config options for WF4.

I noticed that intf_in_external_accuarcy was not valid for WF4 anymore. Here is what we used.

! ***************
! * 3D Exchange *
! ***************

intf_in_external_accuracy yes
fix_boundaries_on_import yes
intf3d_in_close_open_boundaries yes
intf_in_layer_asm_dialog yes
step_export_format ap214_cd

We still use above for WF5 and opening in M070 as a part the file is 1.5 MB.

I added those configs, the file is still 29247 kb

"intf_in_external_accuarcy " is a hidden config in wf4

Strange...

//Tobias

spidernate said:
Try this:
inf3d_in_close_open_boundaries yes

cant add that one in wf4

//Tobias

Edit: i found that it should be"inTf3d_in_close......" and so on.
smiley1.gif
I added it , still the same result thoo..

Thanks Krow72! and thanks for the part, looked good, and yepp only 1mb and thats fine , but I updated my config.pro with your list - still got a 29297kb file if i import my step.

What datecode are you running?

(Btw, I cant add:

iges_in_dwg_pnt_ent

Iges_in_dwg_view

iges_in_dwg_layer_filter

intf_in_extract_profile_all )

//Tobias

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back