Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

What type of connection to use??

toonyank

Well now I'm stumped?

I am trying to make a connection to use in a mechanism to load a truck into a c-130 cargo plane.

I thought it would be simple to do the connection and then in mechanism create a cam follower and watch me load the truck on.

I have a datum curve on the wheels and then another along the load ramp path but I can't figure out what kind of connection to use. It's not a slider because doesnt that have to align two axes?

I think you may know where I'm going with this.

Any help would be appreciated.
Edited by: toonyank

You can use a slot to do that. Place two datum points in the center of the wheels on one side. Draw a sketch which is offseted from the ground the same distance as the wheel radius. Add two slot follower connections to both datum points.
Add a planar connection to prevent the truck from tilting.
If you want the truck's wheels to spin I think you have to make an animation using motors for the wheels.
If it is a flat surface you could also use a gear connection with rack and pinion. For the wheel spin that is.

Edited by: m-d-e

Thanks for that advice. I'll give that a try after I get past another problem.

I have done this a thousand times but do you know what would cause an assembly to fail to connect? I'm doing a simple pin connection on a lower level assembly to connect to the top level and I get the failure message on assembly. It's simple, pin connect and align two exes and translate with 2 planes for orientation.

I just can't figure it out??
Edited by: toonyank

That happens to me sometimes too. I just try to move parts around in the tree and all of a sudden it works. I've never figured out exactly what is wrong. Sometimes you have a notion of what it might be but its hard to help from here.
Try suppressing parts higher up in the tree that are adjacent to the ones you're trying to connect.
Other times I have just made a change and forgot that the planes and axis are no longer perpendicular. I do that quite often.
smiley2.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back