Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Intralink and Wildfire 5.0

_Simon_

I know Intralink isn't supported with Wildfire 5.0 but I have no choice to stick with Intralink and upgrade to WF5.0.

Is anyone out there running the two together and if so are there any issues that you know of?

Thanks,
Simon

Hi there,

WF5 is not supported in Intralink 3.4.

Iam nearly in the same boat, iam running intralink3.4 with wf4, and my company has plan to migrate to PDMlink, say in 1 year.

Why do you have no choice? PTCs plans have been announced for a long time in regards to the demise of Intralink 3.x. Advanced planning is always part of a system admins job.

Ok, my company was an early adaptor of PDMLink. In some cases, we may have moved too quickly as Intralink 8/9 would have been enough. Once you have selected PDMLink, there is no going back to Intralink.

Unfortunately It's been my experience to-date PDMLink 8.0
has about 1/3rd the capabilities of Ilink. (I'm being
generous)

We are on WF4.

The PDMLink 8.0 interface feels so dumbed down that it's
difficult to get anywhere.
This is in comparison it to other PTC Project Detail
Managers of the past; I was present for PDM 1.0 as well
as Itralink 1.0.
I am having difficulty doing all but the most rudimentary
tasks.

I posted an issue a week ago that I have received no
replies to; I have yet to find a way to retrieve an older
version of a file that's been saved but not checked in
using PDMLink 8.0.

Proe stand-alone and every version of PDM and Ilink have
had this capability; by going to the hard drive in early
versions or using "frames" in later releases.

This is a case where I want to be proved wrong.

I feel your pain, but cannot give any advice.

Sorry.

We too regret moving from Intralink 3.4 to PDM Link 8.0, it would have been much better to have waited and gone to PDM Link 9.1.
PDM Link 9.1 has all the Intralink stuff put back into it plus quite a lot more.
Steer clear of 8.0 and take the leap to 9.1.
To answer your original question as far as I am aware you simply cannot use WF5 with Intralink, it just doesn't work so I don't think that you are goinng to find anyone out there who is running the two together.

Wow Looslib. I am dumbfounded at how people just want to follow PTC like a bunch of hypnotized zombies. I feel once you are in deep with a cad system, you are pretty mach married to it, like we all are with PTC. But it doesn't mean I'm not going to put up a fight.I guess it all just comes down to the cost of it. You pay bloated maintenace all your life then you are told that Oh yea, you can upgrade for free. But there are $80,000 USD cost to pull this off.Companies just can't swallow that all the time, especially in the worldwide economic downturn.Plus there were all the shortcomings of 8.0. PTC has an terrible track record of releasing stuff thats half done, and expecting you to pick up the pieces. They could care less about your pain. Well in a businees environment I can't afford togamble with our productivity. I work at a manufacturing facilty, 3 shifts a day we operate. Its a system admins job to keep things running along without interuption.I have to let the software be proved out before it gets here, and PTC saying its OK is, quite frankly, a joke.

With this said we are moving to 9.1 within the next few months. At least migration costs have come down, and these poeple that do the migrations have done lots of them, so I'm more confident their success. But I am very concerned about the functionality. My VAR assuredme it will be fine, then when I asked him about several specific concerns he started sputtering well...ah...you do that?.....really?....I've never.....that fast?....Are you using it right?......

I don't follow blindlessly to what PTC does. As a company, you want to move forward with better tools to do your job. In the case of Intralink 3.4, PTC backpeddled for the whiners who complained that they had to have it for WF4. PTC said OK, $XXX in extra maintenance and you can have it for 1 year. Now those same people are compliainung that Intarlink 3.4 isn't supported by WF5. How much longer can you expect a company to sell and support a product that they don't want to support?

PTC admitted that Intralink 8 and 9 did not do all that 3.x did. At Dallas in 2007, they said that 9.1 would bring the functionality of 3.4 into the Windchill-based 9.1 Intralink.

Sometimes you have to move on.

"you want to move forward with better tools to do your job."

I was never convinced, and am still very skeptical that that new software is a better tool. Vista was better than XP, right?? I am moving from a system that was working fine and we supported ourselves, to a system that admits functionality is missing and requires $50Kto hire consultants to migrate every time there a new version. Yes you do have to move on, and we are, but I am unhappy with how this whole thing went down. We don't want windchill. We have a multi-million dollar MRP system in place now that we are not going to throw away.

You don't need to hire consultants to do an upgrade to PDMLink. You do need to do a test to be sure it performs to your expectations, as you should with any upgrade.

As to Vista and XP, it all depends on what you want. There was a shift in the way MS wanted drivers to interact with the OS that caused XP drivers to not work on Vista. Vista drivers work with few problems in Win7. Saw a video from Mark of Sysinternals and he explained that the drivers used to jump all over to different layers of code, as did the OS. With Win7, MS has developed what they call MinWin, which is a compact, minimal OS around the kernel that keeps calls down to the lowest layers. This is why Win7 uses less memory than Vista.

The use of Windchill is all down to what does your company need to do to control your CAD data. If you only want simple vaulting, Intralink 9.1 will do that for you. I agree, you may need more powerful hardware, depending on how manuy users, but hardware does have a lifecycle, as does software. When I was pushing for the latest hardware for Pro/E, one of the engineering managers used to say that his 6 year old computer worked just fine on the latest version of Excel. I would counter with the fact that Excel doesn't push the hardware to extremes.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back