Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Hole Notes/Dimensions in Drawings

msummers

I would be interested to hear from the audience how they deal with dimensioning/annotating holes on drawings. I have foundfour options, none of which seem very elegant.

1) Show the hole note from the model in the drawing. This works well for tapped holes as the default hole note takes care of metric and unified threads. However, for clearance holes, I would rather see the actual hole diameter instead of the tapped hole referenced and "CLEAR" added to the end.

&METRIC_SIZE &THREAD_SERIES-&THREAD_CLASS &STD_HOLE_TYPE &VAR_THREAD &THREAD_DEPTH[.2]

2) Go into the *.hol file and see the parameter namesused for the particular hole features (CLOSE_DEC, CBOREDIAM, etc.) and manually add them into the model hole note properties. This allows the note to be shown in the drawing, but if I change from a counterbore hole to a countersink hole, or from a close to free fit clearance hole, I again have to manually modify the model hole note.

3)Show the model dimensions or create reference dimensions in the drawing that are related to the hole. Then, determine the &d or &ad parameters for these dimensions, and then type them into a singledimension used to define the hole.

4) Forget about using the hole command altogetherand use chamfers for countersink holes and additional extrude features for conterbore holes and use techniques mentioned in item 3) above to get the holes dimensioned on the drawing.

I guess ideally I would like to have a text file with parameters/logic built into itto identify the type of hole and dimensions required that could be used to replace the default hole note generated my Pro/E.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

-Mark

I use #4. It's more work but I've been doing it since long before there was a hole command & I always get what I want.

Depending on the version you are using some of this can be done with the CALLOUT_FORMAT line. One way to do it would be to create separate hole table files for holes with countersinks and counterbores and format the note for those tables. I don't if it's something that is being tested because there appears to be no documentation but someone posted a *.hol file for WF4 on the PTC Community sitethat had a section at the bottom of the hole table file called DEFAULT_CALLOUT_FORMAT_DATA that provided a way to specify a custom note format based on what features the hole had.

The way we do this is by showing the annotations in the model tree, then replacing the note text with the relevant note - eg csk, cbore, thru, etc.

We store the notes in the note_text_dir, so we can change them easily.

below is the countebore note - the special characters will show up in Wildfire

n&DIAMETER[.2] DRILL THRU
n&CBORE_DIAMETER[.2] x &CBORE_DEPTH[.2] v
( &Pattern_No ) HOLE

Here is the csink note

n&DIAMETER[.2] DRILL THRU
wn&CSINK_DIAMETER[.2] x &CSINK_ANGLE[.2]$
( &Pattern_No ) HOLE

I decided to use my option 2). Pro/E Wildfire 3.0 makes the parameters when I make the hole feature, so all I do is change the automatically created hole note and get what I want. Thanks to everyone for their thoughts on my question.

working in a model
pick the hole feature in the model tree
I have a hot key AN add note
this send me to a folder of notes I created
DRILL n&d577 X &d579 x HYD. HOLE
this note is for a hydraulic hole

then in the drawing I use show, note, feature

Here is a link to the post on planet ptc
http://communities.ptc.com/thread/33216?tstart=0

I've been working on creating a .hol file for our standard format in my free time and came up with the attached file. It'd be a good start point for anybody.
2010-12-13_091849_UNC-N.zip

That would be the correct answer for the question at hand. Adding DEFAULT_CALLOUT_FORMAT_DATA to the .HOL file will allow the user to set specific callouts for different hole situations.
View attachment UNEF.zip
unef_hol.jpg

I had some issues copying the text, but I this file has DEFAULT_CALLOUT_FORMAT_DATA options that work, so I finally got the formatting right.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back