Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Migration from INTRALINK 3.4 to 9.X

Raunen

I'm using Pro/E WF3 and IntraLink 3.4.

I want to use Pro/E WF5.
This demands to change to at least INTRALINK 9.X or PDMLink.

I'm veryfrustrated about the migration cost from INTRALINK 3.4 to INTRALINK 9.X/PDMLink.
As I don't need more functionality from my PDM system, I consider this a hidden cost for upgrading from Pro/E WF3 to Pro/E WF5.

Premises:
<UL>
<LI>I must migrate the full history (all revisions and versions)from one system to another.</LI>
<LI>I only need the functionalities offered in INTRALINK 3.4</LI>
<LI>We are only 2 users of the INTRALINK Database.</LI>[/list]

Has anyone experienced the same frustration and maybe come with a better solution?

Thank you in advance
Raunen

We are in the same boat except using WF4. Not happy at all about the huge expense we are expected to pay just to be able to keep current on software we pay yearly maintenance on. It is made so difficult to upgrade that expensive consulting is needed for the migration. I though for sure PTC would get their act together and come up with a better solution. Like you we are not in need of any new features and from what I have heard, the new products actually take more steps to accomplish the same things easily done in 3.4 and many people are not happy with it. If anyone knows a better solution I am also interested in this.

Installing 9.1 isn't that hard, I just did a test machine yesterday afternoon. Depending on what all you want 9.1 to do will add some things if you want more than OOTB functionality. Yes, there is a little more to setup and configuring 9.1 to work for you, but it is not impossible to do it yourself.

As for migration, if you are a small shop, export the latest version from 3.4 to disk and then open Wildfire with 9.1 and open the parts from disk and save them back into 9.1. If you want all versions moved over, then you need some help and it is a little more complicated. Set up a Library and folders for your standard parts and Product folders for your product files.

You may need a new computer to run 9.1 on as the system requirements are higher than 3.4.

Telstar:
I appreciate you thoughts for this issue
smiley20.gif

Please let me know, if you come up with a solution not involving the hidden cost.

Looslib:
Thank you for your input
smiley20.gif

We have come up with the same considerations. Our IT people can do a migration of the latest revisions without problems.
When it comes to migrating the full history, we need to hire an external consulting company. Andthen the cost will rise dramatically
smiley7.gif

If anyone else has a workaround please let med know

Unfortunately, there is no workaround to get to 9.1. And you will not like 9.1 comparedwith 3.4. It is not pretty.
smiley5.gif
We have been testing 9.1 for 1-1/2 years, are going live in a month, and I am still dreading it.

Before you go live with 9.1, test, test, test.

Same boat here. I am giving in as there is nothing you can do. But you companies with just a handful of users - like 2 people, have you considered ProductPoint? Its funny 18 months to a year ago PTC was saying it was a PDM option, but not a replacement for Intralink. There were docs that actually said those exact words. Even my VAR said to stay away from it.

Suddenly this year thats all changed, and they have now come out with a data migrator from intralink to 3.4. VAR keeps emailing me how I got to see this so I watched a webinar on it. They are really pushing it hard. I have a feeling that has something to do with microsoft pushing it. The whole thing is based on sharepoint. I have been using sharepoiint the last month for document management and have come to see that its like a mini-intralink for documents.

Edited by: FishNut

dgiammusso:
Thanks.

FishNut:
I'm testing ProductPoint and WF5 right now.
Productpoint seems more intuitiv, as I work with Share-Points in my daily work.
But also in this case, we will need an external consulting company to do the full migration, I'm told.
Do you have more details about this: "data migrator from intralink to 3.4" ?

Thanks in advance

Raunen,

Given how you describe your scenario, I agree with FishNut. ProductPoint would appear to be a better fit. We actually looked at it but were told our implementation of Pro/Eand ourIntralink data set are too big for ProductPoint (~50 users and ~14 years of Pro/E data) and it simply would not handle it. So like others that have replied here we're in the process of implementing Windchill PDMLink. The install of PDMLink is actually pretty straight forward, it's the configuration, deciding which aspects you're going to implement and how and of course the process of migrating all your existing data - that's where the headaches and pulling your hair out start. We're (I) am trying to do as much of it ourselves as possible so we're not dependent on a VAR for future changes & maintenance, but I think in the end I'll have to have them help. All this to get a tool that is capable of doing way more than we need, but rather clunky for what we do need. Rumor has it version 10 has a lot of improvements in the UI and ease of maintenance.

With ProductPoint 2.0 PTC has implemented what it calls "Pro/Intralink loader" that per PTC'sFAQ on ProductPointis usedto"...directly migrate Pro/intralink content, including as-stored configurations, metadata and full version history, into Windchill ProductPoint". Here is a link to that doc: [url]http://www.ptc.com/WCMS/files/113141/en/Windchill_ProductPoi nt_2_0_faq_external_v5.pdf[/url]

Erik

Raunen,

I asked my VAR who sponsored the webinar on ProductPoint about the the migrator and this was his response.

As of productpoint 2.0(January) there will be.

I can't verify this, but he said it to a whole group of us.

Erik Gifford:
Thanks for your input.
I'm going for ProductPoint as for now.
Only I have to wait for the 2.0 version.
The migration tool was originally promissed as of July 2010 by PTC.
And I still have to se the functinallity of the migration tool.
Nice name you have by the way
smiley2.gif

(My name is Erik Raun Jensen)

FishNut:
Thanks again

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back