Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

resume children...only!

tobbo

When i supress a parent to a feature, the children becomes supressed as it supposed to be. But when i (sometimes) resumes a children ONLY the parent also got "resumed" . Thats a pretty good thing...But sometimes ijust WANT to end up in failuremode to make my changes . (yepp, i know that i can suspend the children when i supress the parent in the first place, and then make the changes i want in failuremode , and i know that i can use reroute...)

For ex: if a sketch is referenced to a hole, and i supress the hole the sketch also gets supressed. But when i resume the sketch only , then the hole gets resumed too. I can then go into my sketch and delete the reference for the hole , click ok and then supress the hole again and i

Pro/E (and many other parametric CAD systems) are 'history based': the time line of feature creation is integral tomost features.I'm fairly certain that what you're asking for isn't possible in Pro/E, except by changing the referencesin the child. In some other parametric CAD systems, it's possiblefor a child feature to be retained after the parent is deleted. It's also possible to simply drag the child feature icon on the model tree to a point above the parent, effectively accomplishing the same thing without deleting the parent. In both cases, the system issues a warning that the child feature's former references are lost and should be redefined. The feature is still there, but it's references are no longer defined. Yeah, it's been in SW for about fifteen years.

There are at least a couple of 'feature based' parametric CAD packages on the market that don't depend on the sequence of feature creation: each feature is more or less independent, so the order of creation is of little importance.

I don't think it's possible to do this automatically. Unless the parent also fails, when it is resumed with the child, ti's not easy to do.

Mindripper - I haven't seen that in SW, maybe I have a setting set wrong. When I try to drag a child ahead of a parent it simply won't let me do so. Also, suppressing a parent in SW suppresses the child, and in my experience there is no way to allow the child to stay. It just gets suppressed, whether you like it or not.

I know this isn't the SW forum, but if either of those are changeable, I'd love to know how, although I like the parent child relationships in both Pro/E and SW and don't necessarily want to easily violate them.

Doug,
there is an option in SW that allows to keep the child feature after deleting the parent. it's a check box in a dialog box that appears just after hitting the delete key.it also warns that subsequent references to the dangling feature might fail anytime. by the way SW is unable to keep the references to valid entities in files from previous versions. now add the dangling geometry to the equation and see how it behaves! just download the files for solidworks surfacing bible from Wiley website and most if not all parts from solidworks 2008 fail in solidworks 2010.

Mindripper,
if you are so eager to do so in ProE, you can insert>independent geometry, move that feature to the top of the tree and collapse the geometry of the child into it. it will be free from history and parent child relations. then you can delete the parent, or move the independent geometry to any point in the design tree.

Edited by: solidworm

If you create the Axis as a feature first and reference the Holes and your child sketch to the axis you can keep the axis features which take no time to regen and then Suppress your hole at will without affecting your child features. WF5 might allow you to get away with suppressing features if you turn the option for Resolve Mode off which is one of the useful features in WF5.

For Faces and other references you can use DTM Planes set up at positions you are likely to use for multiple features so you can change 1 datum and update multiple features.

Michael

mjcole_ptc said:
If you create the Axis as a feature first and reference the Holes and your child sketch to the axis you can keep the axis features which take no time to regen and then Suppress your hole at will without affecting your child features. WF5 might allow you to get away with suppressing features if you turn the option for Resolve Mode off which is one of the useful features in WF5.

For Faces and other references you can use DTM Planes set up at positions you are likely to use for multiple features so you can change 1 datum and update multiple features.

Michael

Thanks, the "hole issue" was just an example to tell what i mean, but thanks for the tip!!

The actual thing that happend was that a vss had a trajectory that went across a round, and when i supresse them both, and just resumed the Vss , (to make it a constant sweep since the trajectory would be "nontangent") the round came back too. I wanted the Vss "to crash" to get the option to update it right away. What i had to do now ( the quickest thing that came in mind) was to delete the round and them deal with the vss in failuremode. (I actually wanted to keep the round as a supressed feature for other reasons) Thats what my question was about. But for making it easier for me to explain, i took the exampel with the hole and sketch.

//Tobias

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back