Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

cant get rid of double item desc in bom

Texas_Drafter

in my bom the item descriptionis taken from actual part dimensions. i have chenged the part from a 43 inch length to a 63 inch length but the numbers did not up date it still shows 43 inches. how can i update that dimension. also i have to put the description in the parameters manually so the description will show up on my piece part drawing. when i do this the description shows up in the assembly drawing with the automatic dimensions in front and the manual description behind it so they are sitting on top of each other how can i resolve this.

ya tried updating and it didnt work. im sure there is some over complicated setting somewhere that i dont even know exists that would fix it. when i changed the part from 43 to 63 i clicked on my model, right clicked and hit edit. this brought up the dimensions on the model and i double clicked the dimension i wanted to change and changed it and then i regenerated the model.

is this model a family table instance? or a standalone model not asociated to a family table?

if it is a family table instance, did u double click and edit the dimension in the generic model or the inatance?

The best way to link model dimensions to parameters is via relations. In your case I would setup parameter called DESCRIPTION and would write down relation (in Relations window), which would look like the following:

DESCRIPTION = "text1"+itos(dimension_name)+"text2"

where:
<UL>
<LI>dimension_name is the name of the dimension; with dimension selected open properties window and check the name field under the Dimension Text tab OR switch dimension values to dimension names (Info>Switch dimensions); format is Dxx</LI>
<LI>text1 is custom text you would like to put in front of the dimension, and</LI>
<LI>text2is custom text you would like to put behind the dimension.</LI>[/list]

In BOM I would set one column with the &asm.mbr.description parameter and this way description will always be up to date with the actual dimensions of the model.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back