Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Second sheet different units or dual dim

dgiammusso

Question: is it possible to have different units on the second sheet of a drawing (inch on first and mm on second)? Or, is it possible to have inch on the first sheet and dual dims on the second? Thanks in advance.
Edited by: dgiammusso

untested but you may be able to copy a sheet to your other drawing and have it keep the dims. that's the only thing that comes to my mind.

Each sheet can have a different format, no problem.

Megaladon's post reminded me that you can insert sheets from other drawings using the insert/shared dats. However, when I tried one with different units I got "Cannot merge drawings with different units". I think even if they have similar units you will loose the detail settings.

However, there is another thing you can do, use an overlay. You will have to create a second drawing with whatever you want. Then add a sheet to your primary drawing with a blank format then choose tools/overlay and add a sheet from the second drawing. This will work with any mix of units, formats & detail settings. You can't change anything directly in the overlay, you have to open the source drawing & change it there but it's all fully parametric & will show up in the overlay.

Good Morning dgiammusso

It's not good drafting practice to have different size sheets for the same drawing. It will reflect badly on you and the company you work for. However if you want to I believe you can do it under File>Page Setup then change each sheet size.

It would be nice to have some dimensions in dual units (inches [mm]), but not all of them. Unfortunately, Pro/E does not support this: it's global or nothing. The only way to do this is with dumb text that is not parametric. Perhaps one dayPTC will offer the same capabilites as their competitors: the ability to select individual dimensions as dual units.

As rworrell has pointed out, the use of multiple sheet sizes within a single drawing is a violation of drafting standards: everything must be the same sheet size.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back