Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

PDF Script File

monday.scott

Hello all, wondered how to create a script file for Pro/E WF4.0.

We aren't having a problem printing to PDF, the only problem is I would like to streamline the process alittle bit.

I'd like to simply click a custom icon on my menu and it would automaticly set paper size, offsets, and create the pdf file and open Adobe to view.

I've seen a post regarding this before but can't find it now.

I am using Pro/E WF 4.0 BM100, and Adobe Acrobat 9.0 Ver. 9.3.3

Any help would be appreciated.

Scott Monday

What you're calling a "script file" is known in Pro/E lingo as a "mapkey" (and known in Excel or Word as a "macro"). Search the help for creation of a mapkey.

I've already created a mapkey to help speed up this process but I still need to set my page offsetsto .25 for both x and y. then when I click resume i need to set my printer to adobe, set the sheet size and click ok.

I would like to set up a script file to do all of this automaticly.

Scott

Scott,

The company I work at uses a mapkey that triggers a bat file that runs Ghostscript (8.14) with all required configuration to create a PDF from the active drawing. I cannot say if this is the best solution, but works perfectly.

Daniel

Scott,

In WF4 there are two ways to generate a pdf of a drawing: File / Save a Copy / set type pdf, and File / Print.

We are using the "save a copy" method with an icon running a mapkey and find it works very well. The drawings go to the edge of the pdf image, we do not use offsets. Try this method, if you haven't already.

It sounds like you are using the "print" method. To save the settings there you may need to set up a .pcf file in a directory which you point to with the config option pro_plot_config_dir. You can set offsets (plot_translate setting in pcf file), run a batch file, etc etc. We used to use this method to generate pdfs with a batch file as Daniel described.

The "save a copy" method is much, much easier to set up and lower maintenance.

Note that WF5 changed the "save a copy" pdf interface so you may need to rewrite your mapkey if you use that method. One good aspect of the WF5 interface is that it lets you save and use pdf settings files

Hope this is helpful,

Anwyl

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back