Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

PDF import - resolution is changing

emetz700

Certain PDF files that come in as certain paper sizes are being ruined as the go thru some sort of conversion while imported into Pro/E drawings. I found in one case, an E-size sheet to come in perfetly, but Pro/E says the file is too "big" to save. Not big in file size at ironically, its only 44kb.

Has anyone else expericanced PDF import problems? Generally speaking, it works ok. But this conversion Pro/E does upon import is ruining a good thing.

We are using WF4.
Edited by: emetz700

I find it interesting that you can load a PDF into pro, I have not been able to do that. I always snap shot the PDF then open a new graphic in corel draw, copy the snap shot into corel. then I export the image as a .bmp which can then be inserted into a pro-e drawing. The white back ground of the BMP does not print out in the drawing unless you overlay a viewand you set the view to color.
Edited by: fmcdougle

How exacly are you importing pdf files into Pro? Do you do it into a drawing or a part? I have always opened the PDF file in Illustrator and saving it as a dxf file. Then I can open it into pro.

To import a PDF, you follow the same proceedure as BMP and others...

Insert>Object>Create From File

We import PCB data into Pro/E drawings and using DXFexports from Altium (PCB design software)often exceeds Pro's 12,000 entity limit.

BMP files have excessive file sizes, and with multiple sheets creates a significant slow down.

Hencewhy we're trying to make PDF's to work consistantly! We're 80% successful, but the remaining resolution issues on some PDF imports appears to have us stuck in the mud. For those, we resort back to DXF for now.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back