Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Printing Color PDF file with photograph

SrGilberto

We create PDF files to archive drawings on our server and we normally use freedist to convert our print files to PDF. I alsooccasionally usePrimoPDF. My quest is to begin to create color PDF files, which I don't think will be a problem using either of the programs, but I alsoneed tobe able to place a photograph (jpeg file) in the field of a drawing (in Pro-E) and then create a PDF, that shows a color photograph. This is going to be useful to illustrate to our production plant how to route and dress cable assemblies. We build prototypes in our engineering plant fully wired and if we can take photos and put them in color PDF drawings this can be used in our production plant.

Can someone instruct me on how to make color PDF files from Pro-E drawings that have photos in them?

Thanks for the help,

Gil

We do what your asking every day. We often take JPEG color picutures and also PDF files into Pro/E drawings and then from Pro/E creat a PDF drawing or print.

Creating the PDF is easy. You can use a third party driver, like Win2PDF or CutePDF or use Pro/E's built in PDF creater under "File-Save a copy" and select PDF output.

I add photos to my pro-e from time to time. I thankfully have Corel draw to help. I most often drag and drop the photo.jpg into Corel thenselect the photo so it shows the little dots around it indicating it is selected. Then I export it as a .bmp. When the first window opens askingme to select the bmp size I always select some number that is around 6,000,000 bytes or less. I have found that much over that and itwill notload into pro.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I save it to some easy to find folder in "my documents" or anywhere you like. I then open my drawing, select Insert, Object, Create from file, Browse, find the folder where the BMP is, select it, select open, select OK.

When it opens in your drawing you can size it and move it anywhere on your sheet.

If you have Adobe Acrobat Distiller and have added a new printer to your set of printers as a "Print to PDF

Hi, Thanks all who commented. As it turns out, I was able to do this all along. What was preventing me from being able to do it at the time was that something went wrong with my Adobe Acrobat program (I realized this when I was trying to look at a something in Adobe reader and all the pictures were just gray rectangles). I contacted my IT guy and he said the fileslooked just fine for him. He then said, "why don't you try re-installing Adobe Reader." I re-installed it and now everything works just fine. I can now create PDF files with photos in them. I don't know what happened but it okay now. Thanks again everyone.

SrGileberto

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back