Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Shrink Rate to part model

Tesla77

We don't have the Mold Design package but I would like to know if it is the same to scale a part model and have it be the same as applying a shrink rate?

If a shrink rate is needed of .006 per inch could you apply 1.006 scale to a part model to get the proper shrink rate size of the part model to apply to mold steel for repairs?

Actually no. Not exactly. If your shink is the same in all axis the this will probably work. However, depending on the part geometry, the shrinkage may change based on the amount of material in a particular direction.

Also the 'shrink' factor I have seen if you do not have
TDO, or MDX is pretty dumb. It applies the scale factor
by multiplying all of the non-angular dimensions in
sketches and features and it is not able to be used as a
festure, so any 'features' without dimensions (such as
imported geometry, or possibly 'style' features without
dimensions do not get scaled.

The best option is to use the 'real' scale factor
provided by TDO or MDX because this put a feature in the
tree that can be turned on an off, scaled all of the
features whether they have dimensions or not, can scale
about the centroid, origin, or any csys, and can have
non-uniform scaling, and can be family-tabled.

I don't believe scaling will provide you an accurate result. Consider a simple molded part with two holes (pins in the mold). The pin center-to-center distance should not be affected due to shrinkage in the mold, however if you scale the part, you will be scaling this distance proportionally. <tg>

telecomguy said:
I don't believe scaling will provide you an accurate result. Consider a simple molded part with two holes (pins in the mold). The pin center-to-center distance should not be affected due to shrinkage in the mold, however if you scale the part, you will be scaling this distance proportionally. <tg>

Exactly. This is the type of example I was looking for. Sometimes my brain fails to show up to work.

The pin center-to-center range should not be impacted due
to pulling in the pattern, however if you range the aspect,
you will be climbing this range

---------
Oil Painting

malza said:
The pin center-to-center range should not be impacted due
to pulling in the pattern, however if you range the aspect,
you will be climbing this range

---------
Oil Painting

That's the second useless post I've read of yours this morning and its only your second post.
smiley11.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back