Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

what dell model is best for pro-e?

krow72

Hello all. My company likes to buy dell machines. I am getting ready to startlooking at a new machine for myself and was wondering what dell machines out today would be the best. I am running wf4 and just do modeling with meduim assemblies and sometimes use mechanica. Just wondering what your thoughts are. Thanks.

Krow72

Does anyone use Dell computers currently. If so, I would like to hear if you are satisfied with what you have. Just trying to get a feel so I can make a good decision. Thanks.

Krow72

There are only 3 Dell workstations officially supported at this time for WF5.

http://www.ptc.com/WCMS/files/96289/en/dell_wf5.pdf

If you don't think you need support then is seems like almost anything can run it these days. Just don't complain when your graphics wig out.

P.S. If you follow that link there is another link to WF4 support which lists a lot more machines. I just assumed if you're buying a new machine you want it to be WF5 capable.

Edited by: dr_gallup

I wouldn't buy Dell. We've got Dells at our office, they work, sort of. Two new machine that were like 2500$ a piece make a hell of a racket - they're like F16s blasting off...

When we called Dell they said "sorry, that's the kind of model it is"

Have been running on Dell machines over six years now with next to no problems at all. There have been a few graphics issues (Nvidia GPU's) but everytime there wereupdated drivers that resolved the issues.
Have been using unsupported gaming cards as well the past 10 years

Current machine is a T3400 core2 Quad2,4 GHzand NVidia Quadro FX1700
HAvent had any issues with that one at all.

/Anders

Thanks for the replys so far.

dr_g - thanks for the link and heads up on wf5. Not sure we will be upgrading anytime soon but as engineers we are always thinking 3 steps ahead.

Kevin - my boss is adamant about using Dell so I have no choice. I have run on Dell for many years so I know where you are coming from.

ankarl - I will review your system on line and see if it will be a good fit.

Firewild - From what I have read about the m6400 I would have to agree with you but I think that they want to keep it as a tower and not a laptop. I will try to change their minds though.

Thanks,

Krow72

krow72, I have been runing Del's for the past 6 yrs. in fact started with PC and a good video card with Wilfire 2.0 .It was slow thats why we moved to the work station Del 670 with a FX1400 3 Gb ram. I have had no problems with this machine and currently running wilfire 4.0 I'm old school if it works why change it. Although my company is forcing me to support others using Solidworks it runs like crap and requires the best machine you can afford. PRO-E Rocks my world, Solidkinda works.

krow72, currently I am using dell-workstation which has no issue with running proe 4 although I am working parallel on wf4 and ansys11 both works fine at same time, no problem at all. My systems config is intel core 2 quad [email protected], 2 gb of ddr3 ram, nvidia geforce 9400gt

I have a burnt orange Dell M6400 and Design Engine has always been fitted with Dell Precision workstations.
Edited by: design-engine

I think the MSRP is $595.I would highly recommend it as a means of
obtaining useful information from PRO/E/and or SolidWork design models
without having to lease a PRO/E seat. It handles 150 book formats. It
is actual user affable for 3D Cad challenged association like myself.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back