Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Flat pattern on a drawing?

toonyank

I have a sheet metal part and I can't remember how to put the flat pattern on one view in the drawing and then add view's with bends.

Do I have to do an unbend on the part and then a simplified rep. I just can't remember it's been a while since doing sheetmetal.

Greg

Or is it a family table instance??
Edited by: toonyank

Edit - Setup - Sheet Metal - Flat State - Create and usually Fully Formed

Definitely something to use a Mapkey for.

Create the flat pattern feature. With the part showing as a flat pattern, create a family table instance (Tools, Family Table, Add row). Then add a new column in the family table and select the flat pattern feature. Make sure for the flat instance there's a Y in the box not a *.

Hit OK,go back to the generic model and surpress theflat pattern feature. Go back to the family table and open the flat instance to make sure it's working.

Magnusod's method does all the above automatically but it's an 'Unbend All' rather than a 'Flat Pattern' feature. I don't think an 'unbend all' flattens punched forms.

To get this into the drawing just add the generic model and you'll be given the option to add either the generic instance or the flat instance (or any other instance you have created for that matter).

Hope that helps.

Thanks, both will work. I remember now doing this in the past. Some things aren't like riding a bike
smiley2.gif

Kwillo, are you saying that an Insert - Bend Operations - Flat Pattern flatten punched forms?
This doesn't work for me. I still have to use Insert - Shape - Flatten Form or am I missing something?

I could have sworn that worked! Just tried it again and you're right, the punched forms didn't flatten. Apologies for my error.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back