Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

how to cut cosmetic threads

ronfya

Hello there,

I'm getting mad with this... How the hell do you cut cosmetic threads ??

I have a cylinder and on which I made a cosmetic thread.

If I want to make a cut (revolve or protrusion or chamfer) on the resulting body, how the hell do I get the thread (quilt) trimmed ?
The solid is cut of course, but the thread isn't. Why is this ? and how can I get it cut by my function ?

Same question with threads resulting from holes.

Thank you very much.

R.
Edited by: ronfya

How do I copy the srufaces ? All I have is solids and if for example I select the surface of the chamfer at the end of the thread and make edit > copy, then I am only offered to paste the chamfer function again.

thx

pick down to the geometry level, where the chamfer
surface is highlighted in pink. Then do a copy-paste.

You then can select the cosmetic surface, hit your trim
command, and trim using the previously created surface

I was able to just use the trim command without copy/paste.

-Highlight the cosmetic thread, then edit/trim and pick a datum place or surfacewhere to stop the threads. Done

OK, I succeeded to make a trim. With the copy surface method. The mistake I was doing is that I never selected the two halves of the chamfer at the base of my cylinder. Now with selecting the two halves, it works better of course
smiley1.gif

pyro said:
I was able to just use the trim command without copy/paste.

-Highlight the cosmetic thread, then edit/trim and pick a datum place or surface

I still dont see the use of the copy surface method. You copy the surface because somehow it doesnt let you use the trim command straighforward and then you paste the surface to where exactly?

Anyone can explain this?

when you do a copy paste of a solid surface, it creates
a quilt in the exact same location as the solid surface.

You also cannot do a copy without doing a paste.

Pyro i can not see if there is any other option to cut/trim the cosmetic thread without making a surface and using trim comand( as said by csusie)
Edited by: sanjeevkar1

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back