Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Pattern a revolve feature help

sa660

I am struggling to create a feature on a thin cylindrical wall.

I created a center line. I createad a datum plane. I pattern the datum plane using the angular dimension. for the pattern creation.
I created a cut using the first pattern as my reference plane.
I pattern the cut using the plane pattern as reference. No problem.
I created a revolve extrusion inside the cut. The pattern reference is not working.
I do not understand why it is not working.2009-04-07_025646_1000039792-0000001_cvr_snapon.prt.zip

RMATIJA, SURESHDESIGNS,

Thank you for the quick reply.
Do you understand the problem? Can you point out my mistakes?

Thanks,
Richard.

I wouls avoid using angular dimension from Revolve/Extrude features, creating special datum or making Copy>Rotate instead and then performing Pattern basing on those last feats.

sa660 - your problem is that you sketched the revolved protrusion on the wrong side of the cylinder. Your first patterned cut we will say is on the right side and youcreated your revolved protrusion on the left side. change your revolved sketch to where the first cut was from and it will fix the problem.

Krow72

Krow72,

I used the first cut to created the revolve then I created the pattern for the cut. follow by the pattern for the revolve. I don't understand How I could get this wrong.

I will have a second look at what you are saying but I do not understand you.

Thank you for taking time to respond.

sa660 - Sorry for the miscommunication.Open your part and go to the model tree. expand (+) pattern 2 and pattern 3. Pick feature one in pattern 2 and notice where it is located on the part (top view - just below 3 o'clock). Now pick feature one in pattern 3 and notice where it is located on the part (top view- just above 9 o'clock which is feature 7 of pattern 2). you need to redifine your sketch for the revolve to be on the opposite side which will make it on the cut (feature one of pattern 2). Hope this clears up my post from earlier.

Krow72

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back