Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Obtaining moment of inertia

aa2105

Hi

Quicke query, how do you get the area moment of inertia of a part in ProE? I have a 2d aerofoil for which I need the moment of inertia about its chord.

Thanks.

Hi aa,
If you have a 2d profile, the inertia moment can be displayed by extruding the profile, no particular thickness. then tools, analysis, mass props, the 'centroid' will be given in xy coordinates from the default coordinate system.

Try extuding the profile symmetrically about the sketch plane. In the Analysis Dialog box select X-Section mass properties from the list. Select the plane and coordinate system. Here is an example ofsome of the infoyou get.

pro e gives the mass moment of inertia not area moment of inertia, right?

is there a way to get the area moment about x-axis :
Ix = integral y^2 dA

as opposed to (mass inertia):

Ixx = integral y^2 dm

cheers

since the thickness (extrusion height) is constant (t) and you will assign the density (Rho), the relation between these two is:

* From Kdem's reply, i can see that ProE reports I in inch^4 which is the correct unit for area moment of the section. so there is no need <a style="font-weight: bold;" name="169835"></a>to do any conversions. (it is area moment not mass moment)

Edited by: solidworm

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back