Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Looking for expanded metal example

Hello All,

Anyone model expanded metal before? If so, I have a couple of questions. Was the model slow to regen? If not, can you send me a sample part file?

I have grate that is 66" X 48" that will have expanded metal over it. If modeling a part with a ~1" diamond pattern over that whole area will bring my assy to a stand still, then I need an alternative.

My main reason for wanting to model this if for doing a drawing showing it and how it is attached. It would be nice if I could show it in the model, but that is secondary.

Thanks,

-Victor

Have you considered modelling the bars rather than modelling the holes that way you will have approx 2(x+y) features rather than x*y features

A valuable trick in doing mega patterns is to make many cuts in one sketch which dramatically reduces feature count.

Where possible make the pattern identical to speed regen time

Can you get away with doing the diamond pattern as a cosmetic sketch again with multiple diamonds in the sketch. Very fast regen time.

DB

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back