Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Equations in assembly

MrYoung

Hello everyone!

Im currently working on an impeller as a school project, with a list of parameters that Im going to be able to change. Things are going pretty well, but I have some problems with the impeller vanes. They are defined by three curves using equations, and then I used boundary blend between curve 1 & 3, and 2 & 3:

dw = diameter of shaft
dl = length
Wys = height of vanes
Alfa = thickness of vanes measured in degrees
L_VANE = Number of vanes

Curve 1:
r = dw/2
theta = t*360/L_VANE
z = t*dl

Curve 2:
r = dw/2
theta = t*360/L_VANE + ALFA
z = t*dl

Curve 3:
r = dw/2 + t*Wys
theta = t*360/L_VANE
z = t*dl

These values are defined by parameters. I have no problems doing changes when working in part mode, but I dont know how to change these curves when working in assembly mode. I know how to change diameter and length of shaft using d#:#, aswell as changing the number of vanes. But the shape of the impeller vanes wont change when I change the parameters.

Does anyone have any ideas for what to do?

Heres a picture of what it looks like.

iz3n7p.jpg

Hi MrYoung,

Could you upload the model or send via PM, I'm working on a impeller designtoo, but quiet-noise, so I'm using aerodynamic profile section, in my case NACA 4 series,right now running my CFD I notice that my flow separation is high due the attack angle...anyway,maybe we can help ustogether, I've been designing aerodynamics fans sincea lot of time ago.

Do you plan to run a CFD to your model, or maybe make a link with Fluent?

Regards

Pablo

My model isa very simple impeller that my supervisor provided to me. My focus is on the use of parameters, not on flow and aerodynamics. My teaches has mentioned something about perhaps running flow analyses later, but not at this stage.

I dont have the model availabe at the moment, but my first post should have all the information you need to create it.

Hello MrYoung,
the picture shows your assembly and the vanes are components ?
Then create the parameters in assembly and write a relation in your assembly like parameter:sid=parameter where sid is the session id of your vane. So the parameters will be transferred on regen.

But the shape of the impeller vanes wont change when I change the parameters.

You probably need to force a regen...edit defination of the boundry blend as soon as it becomes available .. green check it .. then see if it's updated..

otherwise you may need to double check you parameter assignments..

but yeah, you change somethime proe tells you nothing to regen.. isn't always the case
smiley2.gif

Sorry if I didnt make myself clear, my mistake. The impeller shown in the picture is one part. I have made a very simple casing to learn how parameters and relations work in assembly mode, but I have no problems with it so I didnt post any pictures of it. There are no problems with standard dimensions but the shape of the impeller vanes, which is defined by equations based on the parameters, doesnt change in assembly mode. All the other dimensions does. The weird thing is that it works with no problems in part mode...

And yes, I know about regeneration ;)

Thanks for your replies. :)
Edited by: MrYoung

In relations of the model, do you have all the needed?

myval=myval:1 ..or alfa=alfa:1.. "pram model" = "pram. assy " : 1

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back