Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Model Challenge - March 09.

[-Skint-]

Bit quiet this forum lately. Anyone fancy modelling for fun ? I dont use pro-e as much as I would like to these days as my role changes from day to day, so for modelling & rendering practice I am going to use my lunch hours and any spare time I get to play around with pro-e
smiley2.gif

Desk Item - Something you use every day Can be anything from a pencil, a keyboard, a mouse or a ruler... aslong as you use it everyday or atleast it is sat mainly on your desk most of the time. No time constraints, no rules. Just model and render if you wish.

My item will be my trusty old Mitutoyo Vernia or Calipers, i use these everyday for sure. Not sure how I am going to measure it acurately though
smiley36.gif
. I am going to model during my lunch break ( when I get them ) so possible 30 minutes to 1 hour per day. I will post progress.

Lets rock !
Edited by: [-Skint-]

Skint - Mitutoyo Calipers.

Google Image of actual part. Modelling to commence.

TCM-169-1.jpg

EDIT 1 ). You Cheat
smiley36.gif

Did about 40 minutes during lunch. Started 4 parts of my calipers... images are crap sry lol :

That will do for now :). Will do some more later & update.
smiley17.gif

Edited by: [-Skint-]

smiley32.gif
nice work again skint. Your renderings are excellent.

I've had a look round my desk but there's nothing that exciting on it to model. The scissors and screwdriver I think may do though. Everything else of interest has already been modelled as it's work stuff.

I will try and get to work in something and post in the near future. In the meantime, hopefully something exciting will land on my desk such as a wad of cash
smiley36.gif

oooh a wad of cash would be lovely wouldnt it.... maybe now inflation is apparently 0% we would be lucky to get a penny this year ! Had my appraisal yesterday with the 2 directors... lets wait n see lol.
smiley5.gif

Wondering what I can model next already. Trying to build up a library of useful items such as the calipers... who knows I may use them in technical literature one day lol

our workers union here usually goes in at a ridiculous12% rise for the workers, the company says 1% and they end up settling it in September with 3.5% which us staff had already received in April. Happens every year. This year may be different though.

Alibrary of every day items would be good. I have settled on the scissors to modelthough tools such as screw drivers, pliers, rivet guns, etc would be more useful.

I have started doing basic tools too, like screwdrivers etc. When I get chance maybe I will upload some of them to the files section.

Did a quick render for Doug`s speakers with random grillsfor anyone who doesnt download his model
smiley17.gif

Tools so far.... Guess I should start a "random" render folder.

modelled these over the last few days tho. Not exactly "always on my desk"
smiley36.gif

tools.jpg

Nice renders skint!! is it pro/Eor hypershot? if pro/E , arx? Wf 2,3,4 or 5 ?? many questions now...

//Tobias

Looks just like my toolbox, all shiny and never used!!
I'm waiting for a hot secretary to land on my desk, then I'll do some mdelling!!:) :)

Failing that I'l do my Ski goggles, as I've just come back from skiing and they were thrown there from the bag.

Skiing... without me
smiley19.gif
. Nice Oakley`s aswell haha.

@ Tobbo.. These latest renders are just basic ones from Hypershot, a few minutes each. I have achieved similar results with WF5 but takes much MUCH longer !

nice rendering, fast and good modeling Skint
smiley32.gif

small cheats are harmless
smiley4.gif
that is standing on my desk.it was modeled a month ago, i think it would not be a problem
smiley36.gif

today I have modelled a pen which will be used for a force balance analysis. apparently not a challange
smiley18.gif
but it is standing on my desk
smiley4.gif

If you lot think of a better topic to start modelling let me know, my desk is boring now. I dont want my boss to come into my office to find an asortment of interesting things on my desk that mean nothing to my job
smiley17.gif

The guy who sits across from mehas a model of a Porsche 911 Carrera sitting on his desk. I'd love to model that up.

One thing I was thinking of doing (if I ever get the time) was to buy an Airfix model car or bike or model car/bike which is supplied in bits and CAD model all the bits and assemble it.

Nip out during lunch skint and buy something like that to model....and if it's a nice car and your boss queries why it's on your desk, tell them that's what you'll be buying after you get the huge payrise
smiley4.gif

I'd like to model my own car but can't find any scale models of it
smiley18.gif

Edited by: michael3130

[-Skint- said:
] Did a quick render for Doug`s speakers with random grillsfor anyone who doesnt download his model
smiley17.gif

Nice! Thanks, I was just thinking I needed to put up a screen shot or something.
smiley17.gif

michael3130 said:
The guy who sits across from me has a model of a
Porsche 911 Carrera sitting on his desk. I'd love to model that
up.

I've got a 1960 Thunderbird Convertible model on my desk, just like the one at home in my garage. That would be fun to model ...

P1110637-photo.jpg

That is a sweet car ! I must get around to modelling a car some day. I dont have idsx though so would have to go the "maudib" route and model it all without it.

@ michael, haha thats a good idea about the air-fix model, I thought of that one day too and was going to buy a Tank to model up.... never did get around to it. Got more chance of my boss buying me a tank than paying me a huge rise lol.

Thanks. I'd like to give a car a shot one day too, but maybe start with something with more defined lines like a Lotus Esprit (also on my desk).

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back