Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Modeling Boat Hull or Fuselage Tutorial

Arbiter

smiley1.gif

Hi Folks,
Thanks so much for your help recently! I am sorry I haven't posted in a while but I was busy with a quarter at University of Cincinnati! Go Bearcats! Anyways, I was messing around with Boundary blend and ways to generated a highly curved fuselage and/or boat hull and here's a tutorial I came up with to help me walk through the steps. It does not use mirrored geometry for each side, but it uses relations to ensure that both sides (The plan is to have vertical symmetry) are the same. Sorry if the formatting is not very awesome, it's not a formal tutorial, it's mainly my notes pasted into PDF from one-note, but it should flow alright. Let me know what you think or if there are easier ways to do some of the things I was doing in it.... OR just enjoy it and hopefully it helps someone else other than just myself understand ProE better. Thanks again for your help and advice, I think I learned a lot from you!

-Chris Z.
smiley1.gif

2009-03-18_234744_Fuselage_Or_Hull_Tutorial.zip

Hey Chris, havent had any time to look at it or give it a go, but just wanted to say that its a real nice contribution to the forum. Anything like this in my eyes is always welcome. I know they are your own notes etc but you didnt have to share all that work, so On behalf of MCAD Thanks
smiley32.gif

Hi Skint, still catching many posts here ?
smiley36.gif

who actually are we MVP?
smiley36.gif
Moderator V*** Person or what ?

Arbiter

there some areas to be discussed:

*first - 3nd boundary blend. You should avoid building such surfaces, instead implementing any of known approaches - Bart`s toupee method to mention at least

*section curves - remember each extra point inserted in spline disturbs curvature plot

Jacek,
Thanks for the tips! I will try to look into the section curves stuff you pointed out! However, I have not found any comprehensive description of how to execture Bart's Toupee Method.... If there's a post that describes it in detail please let me know. Thanks!

Bart,
I am not sure why they use Rhino. I am using ProE to design an airplane, and I think it will work just fine for what I need it to do!

-Chris
Edited by: Arbiter

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back