Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Layer Tree Cleanup MapKey

handyman2000

I have used pro-e for a couple years now and the last company I worked for had created a mapkey to cleanup the layer tree and group all datum features in the correct groupings and default hide all datum features then finally save status. I am not sure on how to re-create something like this that will work for all parts and assemblies created. Anyone know what I am refering too?

It sounds like they were using the mapkey to assign rules to the layers and then have the layer populated using the associative option within the layer menu. I'll have to give it a try and let you know for sure...

Thanks for looking into this. It is big help when working on large assemblies to be able to see only datum points planes, etc for only the parts being assembled instead of every datum feature of the much larger layout assembly.

Record the mapkey as follows:

View>Layers

Highlight and right click on the layer for coordinate systems and then select layer properties.

Click on the rules tab, then click edit rules.

Under attributes change rule to type and equal to value of coordinate system. (Make sure "include submodels" is checked in the upper right hand corner. Click add new in the lower left, and then select OK.

Now go to options just to the right of edit rules and select Associative and then OK. (This will search for items in the assembly that meet the criteria.)

Now, undder the layer menu, select layer, then "Extend Rules" (This propagates the rules down into the parts of the assembly.)

Repeat these steps for each layer you want to revise. (Datum Planes, Points, etc.) This method assumes the layer exists at least in the assembly to begin with.

Now, to finish it off, select layers and then RMB hide and save status.

I hope that was helpful. Best of luck!

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back