Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Measuring distance bettween features

CrazyJay

Hello,

I'm new to Pro-e. I'm having a hard time just measuring the distances between different features. I can't figure out an easy way to do this.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to measure distance between random features?

Thanks

Edited by: CrazyJay

Welcome to the forum.

I always teach new users to not try to measure using 'Analysis' 'Measure' 'Distance' (which is how to do it in a part) but to instead create a quick drawing and measure instead with a dimension. That way you are sure to get the x y dimension you probably require.

Edited by: design-engine

Hey bart! all good? tell me, whats the benefits of creating a drawing for this?
smiley1.gif
You can always you use the "projection" to get the dimension you want? And specially if you want to know the distance between 2 features thats not in a xy plane,then a drawingview might be more difficult to achive.... (ex. create a datumplane thru the edges, create a view for this , and the a drawing) BUT , if you want to know a dimension i xy plan only, then its a good technique.

//Tobias
Edited by: tobbo

Hi Jay,

I am kind of a beginner, too. At last compared to authorities like tobbo and design engine.

You should customise your ProE.

Go to tools/customize screen/analysis and drag&drop the analysis type you need into the toolbar. The other option is using a mapkey.

Good Luck,
Joerg

customization is key with Pro/E ....

I like doing a drawing because I am always tweaking the dimensions. And I hate doing the same operation over and over. So if you make a working assembly or part drawing with the dims you want... then modify your part 20 times each time updating the drawing to see your dimension update. Saves me 20 seconds each modification.

I always say its not how fast you model something. Its how fast you modify it 20 times.

Good point! and yeah , offcourse its the "modificationtime" that counts.

I was thinking of maybe using "saved analysis" , It would do the trick here... i mean , then you can see the dimsdirect on your part when proving form...but, you also gets a messed upscreen whit a lot of dims showing all the time... so, maybe a drawing is the key.

pretty cold in chicago now ,right?

//Tobias

Edited by: tobbo

Thanks for the input. This helps a lot

When you say make a drawing, do you mean sketch? Also, using the 'analysis', 'measure', 'distance' method. How do you get the project X and Y?

EDIT: I see, i have to make a drawing file. Ok, well i'm going to finish a tutorial i'm working on before i try the drawing method. in the mean time i'll use the 'analysis', 'measure', 'distance' method.
Edited by: CrazyJay

CrazyJay said:
Thanks for the input. This helps a lot

When you say make a drawing, do you mean sketch?

No, he means literally create a new drawing and place views on the drawing. then, place whatever dimension or dimensions you are concerned with on the drawing so that you can see them. when you modify your part, you can switch to the drawing to instantly see how the change altered your dimensions.

CrazyJay said:
Also, using the 'analysis', 'measure', 'distance' method. How do you get the project X and Y?

when you select distance, pick your entities. then in the projection pull down menu select an option. I usually select a coordinate system because my start part creates a default Csys upon part start. pick that and it will show you the distance in straight line, as well as X, Y, and Z distances.

Michael

warm in chicago actually....Its spring weather here like the rest of the country.

I save my saved analysis more for draft check etc.

I use "make feature" from saved analysis. That feature is saved as a shown dim for use on drawings as well.

I use the analysis all the time.
The key is to use the correct filters (usually surface or axis), and to use a projection feature if needed.
Takes a lot less time than creating a drawing.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back