Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

model could not be retrieved

SWDADA

while working on an assembly drawing, I closed it and then tried to open it again, the associated assy model could could ,not be retrieved. I opened the assy model but it is working fine, the drwing just cannot read from the model file, any clues?

- folder or directory issue
- your assembly is in a differnt directory...
- renamed somehow....
- version problem...

what else could it be?
Edited by: design-engine

i double checked the directory and the model is still in the dame directory, never renamed it anf my folder has no problems at all. I checked all these 3 prior to posting the question, it would rather be a version problem because i use tryout edition

Is the assembly that you are working with in the same directory as the drawing you are having a problem with?

Try to retrieve an older version of the drawing. Pro/e is saving different versions each time you save. To do that go to the directory you saved the drawing and you should find all saved versions there.

i know that pro/e saves an additional copy each time you hit the save button, this would not help me because I always delete older versions, otherwise they slow down my computer each time I open from my design directory. The searchpath is always included in my configuration

Have you tried opening the assembly followed by opening the drawing - if the drawing can't find the assembly then, there must be another problem (possibly having renamed the assembly without the drawing in session).

I am also having this problem. When attempting to open a drawing file (d400.drw) an error message reads: Model D400#PJ0.PRT is not in this directory.

This is odd because the model file I was working from is called D400.PRT. I know not to rename the model unless the drawing file is open. I have tried reverting to previous versions of the drawing file but the most recent working file loses about 4 hours of work.

Usually, in this instance I would rename my model with the name the drawing is looking for (D400#PJ0.PRT), open the drawing, then rename the model back to D400.PRT and save both model and drawing. But in this case the # is an illegal character and causes an invalid filename.

Any ideas why the drawing is looking for D400#PJ0.PRT? I certainly didnt name the model that!

Thanks

I have had similar problems when working from files created by someone else. For example, an assembly references P/N XX-YYY-001.prt and the drawing for this part requests P/N XX-YYY-001_revA.prt. So perform a copy or "Save As" to the same part number the drawing is attempting to locate.

If the drawing opens correctly, rename the part file to match the part file in the assembly, and save the drawing. If you have a PDF of the drawing, first verify the Pro-E drawing matches before performing the above proceedure.

So in your specific case, copy the D400.PRT and save as D400#PJ0.PRT, then try to open the drawing. If it works, rename the part back to D400.PRT so it is still referenced by the assembly, and save the drawing so that both names are identical (D400.prt & D400.drw)

Hopefully this will solve the problem.

Regards,

Chris Thompson
www.appianwaytech.com

Pro-E WF 2.0 & 3.0
SolidWorks Premium 2007 & 2009

Edited by: c_thompson_68

Thanks, thats what I tried to do instinctively, but "#" is not allowed when renaming the file, otherwise I presume that method would work fine! So I am not able to rename the file with a "#" and so cannot rename it as the file which the drawing is looking for.

I wonder in the "#PJ0" is added when the model is a simplified representation or something like that?

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back