Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

3D PDF

Heathbn

I have been pulling Pro-E into 3D-PDF lately to communicate with People outside of CAD.
I was wondering how many others are doing this, and if they are having better lucky developing a simple process.

I wish I could set things up inside Pro-E (views, PDF output size, sections, simplified reps, individual part display options) and just save it as a 1MB to 2MB 3D-PDF.

Not only is their no controls for configurations that output, the file is much to large when output rather then pulled in.

OK you say then just pull it in. Well when I do this I loss even more configuration control (I loss all the default views in my CAD software).

I usually end up doing it this way. Its the only way to get the file size down. 1.5MB VS 12MB

Thanks to anyone who reads this.

We are attempting to do this output too.

The biggest problem we are experiencing is that the "Spin center/axis" on which the part is placed is NOT "Fitted to sheet size" in the way that it would place the part in the centre of the page it is set to print too.

It basicallysets the spin centre in the bottom corner of the page size selected. This could potentially mean a huge file Obviously within the output tool there is no setting which allows this spin centre/datum to be changed to centre of chosen sheet.

Basically - when the 3d file is viewed in Adobe after creation it's spin centre of the part/assembly is in the bottom left hand corner of the chosen output sheet size. It soon dissapears from the view when "spinning" it !! I cannot find a way of changing this spin centre to be the centre of the part/assembly. I can only assume that the control is within ProE for this ?

Is this also a problem for you or have you found a way around that issue ?
Edited by: Canners

Alot of these functions have been corrected in the latest Adobe release v9.0 pro.

What adobe does is it reads views, so we create all the dims/notes that you would want to see, you have to do this on the 3d side in proe. From there adobe will create views with all these dims/notes on it.

I know this is a huge issue with everyone moving to MBD models, I just had a meeting with Adobe and they have a conjunction with PTC and are working on some of these issues.

Edited by: homer2210

Get a copy of E-Drawingsfor Pro-E. This is a much better solution than 3-d PDFs, assomewhere along the line Adobe missed the big picture when theydeveloped their3-d PDF application. E-Drawing was developed specifically for what you are trying to do.You can save your file (3-d model or drawing)as an E-Drawing, or you can use E-Drawings to directly open and view your Pro-E files.

Flayl Payne

I wonder why my 3d PDF models are always initially oriented to some oddball upside down view. Is there a simple to have the PDF appear as they are on the screen. It's fine that I can rotate the PDF, but the initial view always looks soodd when I send it out.

PDF 3D also does not support PTC CADDS 5 very well.Adobe's support for most of these 3D CAD formats comes from the software companythey bought called TTF-Group. But TTF-Group did not have very complete CADDS support. It seems to be explicit geometry only. If your dimensions and text are 2D (typical for CADDS), you don't get those reliably at all, only basic 3D wireframe entities. No parametric or CAMU assemblies either. We getmuch betterresults using the DraftView CADDS viewer to print to Adobe printer drivers.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back