Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Derived Parts

Palinvan

Hello, We have recently been switched from Solidworks to Pro/E WF3.0.

My question is how would I go about making a derived part from another part? I will use a casting as an example. In Solidworks I would insert the casting into a new part and then go about modifying that casting. Any changes made to that casting would also translate over to all parts derived from that casting.

How can I do this is Pro/E? I'm not seeing any way you can import a part into a new part.

After reading both options I think the inheritance/merge feature would be best. However everything is greyed out in insert/shared data. Any opinions on why that is? I have started a new part, the only features are the default datums.

Your reference control may be set such that it won't allow it. Check the following config settings and make sure they are set to the following:

DEFAULT_EXT_REF_SCOPE ALL
DEFAULT_OBJECT_SCOPE_SETTING ALL
DEFAULT_OBJECT_INVALID_REFS COPY
IGNORE_ALL_REF_SCOPE_SETTINGS YES
MODEL_ALLOW_REF_SCOPE_CHANGE YES
SCOPE_INVALID_REFS COPY

I am using a custom config.pro file so I added those lines to it but that didn't work. Thank you for the tips though. I have an email into our IT department to see if there are some modules or something along that line that we did not purchase.

You need AAX, Advanced Assembly Extension to do some of those tasks.

If you use the Edit->Component Operations command you can still do the merge technique without AAX

If you want to use the insert->shared data commands you need AAX.

I found somewhat of a work around.

_ Create an assy.<BR itxtvisited="1">_ Place the 'parent' part in the assy.<BR itxtvisited="1">_ Create or place a 'child' part.<BR itxtvisited="1">_ Activate the child part and <BR itxtvisited="1">__ Insert -> Shared Data -> Merge

It let me do it that way without AAX. Have to do some testing to make sure it keeps the links when used with Windchill but this will get me up and running for now.

Thanks for the help

I think the solution I posted above will work great for me I just need to figure out how to get rid of the dependency between the merged part and the assembly. The following is the error I get when I try to check the part back in to Windchill

CheckinfailedbecauseCADPart&nb sp;-template.prt,-.2hasaNON-RE QUIREDdependencyonAssembly-&nb sp;0000000028.asm,-.1.Selectingthech eckinoption"Autoresolveincomplete&nb sp;objects"willallowyoutoignor ethisdependency.Otherwiseyoumu stresolvethisdependencymanually.

And of course the Auto Resolve doesn't work. Anyone help me with with how to manually break that dependency?

Uh I think that is the point of having AAX, you can make the reference without creating a dependency on an assembly.

Or you could use the method I stated above about using the edit->component operations command

I don't have anything called component operations but there is feature operations. When I use that it only copies the features from another part but doesn't translate any of the changes made in the original part to the part the features were copied too.

Screen shot of my edit menu:

Have you tried the merge technique stated in my previous post? I'm not certain, but I don't think you need AAX to do it. Also, in the end, you don't have a dependancy on the assembly, you can blow it away.

Yeah I did the merge technique. It is a little different in WF3.0 compared to what they describe in that article. The steps I took are
_ Create an assy.<BR itxtvisited="1">_ Place the 'parent' part in the assy.<BR itxtvisited="1">_ Create or place a 'child' part.<BR itxtvisited="1">_ Activate the child part and <BR itxtvisited="1">__ Insert -> Shared Data -> Merge
And that would work great except windchill just doesn't seem to like it. I can't remove the assembly that I used to merge the parts from my workspace. "Areferentialintegrityviolationoccur redforthisoperation" is the error I get.
When trying to check in the merged part windchill tells me there is a dependency to the assembly but I can't find anywhere you would delete dependencies. I've tried contacting tech support on this but after waiting 30 mins to talk to someone I couldn't understand I gave up..

You want to press the button on the right if possible to do an external merge rather than an assembly associated merge. My guess is that it is greyed out.

In WF2 you could do this without AAX but it appears you need aax in 3. It only costs 4995 I think :)

you really need to see examples of each top down approach (and try one or more ideas)

There is copy geometry that does not require an assembly... or others that do. you just need experience before you can choose from more than seven top down techniques. With sw you really only have a few techniques to choose from and it compares more to master merge technique in proe of 10+ years ago.

Thanks for all the ideas guys. We are currently working with our Sales Rep on this one. Paying an extra $5K for something that SW has in its base package after being told by the rep that the Pro/E package we were purchasing had all of the features of the base SW package is just annoying.

Pro/E has that in it's base package too but its like SW and the technique is considered bad practice.Does anyone remember how we did top down design back in the early to mid 90's... Master merge.That is what solidworks does till this day and it's called "insert part".That sh*t is stuck in the 90's.

Don't bring up the old school techniques and make reference to solidworks unless you want this thread to live on for ever.

Solidworks is gay
Edited by: design-engine

Bad practice would be what the sales rep told us we would need to do if we don't buy AAX. Copy the geometry over to a new part and add the machined features to it. Then when you have a change to the casting go into each model that uses that casting and make the revisions. Having to physically change 100's of models when we change a casting design is not even a feasible possibility. I would be better off using Autocad if that is how they expect me to make revisions.

And no one including experienced Pro/E users in the company have any better solution than to spend an extra $5K per license. And that better solution would also have to work with Winchill, which the solution I posted above does not.

Who cares if it is a technique used in the 90's? I've been using it for 6 years now in SW and haven't had a single problem when making revisions to parent parts and having it translate to each child part. If it isn't broke why fix it?

Edited by: Palinvan

AAX is the way to go! Also I don't sell software nor does design engine so i hope my example makes more clout.As a contractor working for a design firm or say CASE or something... I could not work someplace without AAX.I would just quit if I could not talk them into that add on.It that important. And to boot if a company did not have that AAX package they simply don't have the foresight to hire a person like me in the first place... so the problem would probably not occur.Some smaller industrial design forms might not own AAX out of ignorance. (I need softer word that ignorance here like 'don't know any better' or had an uninformed sales rep or the owner of the company is too cheap)

As far as a single problem?I never had a single problem before owning a microwave oven either. It sure is nice to have tho.
Edited by: design-engine

Just to throw in my $.02 - AAX is worth every penny. I
have to agree w/ Bart - if I had to work with without
it, I would not be happy.

I can understand not wanting to spend more after
switching over, but the price is well worth it in the
amount of time it will save you.

Hope that helps

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back