Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

’Pack and Go’ Assembly

eliotfallon213

Hi there,

I am trying to compile all the models and drawings surrounding an assemblyso I can move the files onto a supplier.

I have the assembly, it has a drawing. I am aware of how to backup the assembly and the drawing but that will only take with it the part files.I would also like it to take with it the part drawings.

I do not have intralink (-politics!) but is there another way?

Thanks

The backup command is great for this, but as you've discovered, it has limitations. It will store the top level item currently open and all sub items in the target directory. What it won't do is go and find any other related items (part drawings, other assemblies the item may be art of).

Unfortunately, I think you're going to have to find the part drawings individually and back them up as well. If there are any kind of commonalities to the file names (suffix, prefix) you might be able to craft a DOS xcopy statement to do the copy, but aside from that I'm not sure of an easy way.

"Pack & Go" is a SolidWorks method of saving drawings, assemblies, and parts to another folder. To accomplish the same in Pro-E, here is what I would do:

<ul>[*]Purge your current working directory.[*]Do a backup of the top assembly & drawing. This will backup library parts not in the current working directroy.[*]If the folder is unique to that project, copy the contents of the folder to the backup directory to copy the drawings, or just copy only the drawings.[*]Erase everything out of memory, and change the working directory to the backup directory. Open the top assembly & drawing to verify the backup. Scan through the parts and assemblies in the directory to verify the darwing is present. If not, backup those individual part / subassembly drawings as well.[/list]Of course, their are 3rd party alternatives to Pro/Intralink! Make an enhancement request for a SolidWorks like "pack & go" option for Pro-E.

Regards,

Chris Thompson
www.appianwaytech.com

Hi,

I have written a program (years ago) that does exactly what you describe.

It needs an .inf file of an assembly ("Info / Model / Top level / Apply") and a target directory.
It will copy all the prt, asm and drw files to the target directory, no matter in which directory they reside. It is required however that your drawing names have the same name as the prt and asm files.

You can also check if all the prt and asm files have a matching drw file. So you can see which drawings still need to be made.

It also has a crude purge function to purge the target directory.

If you want, I can send you that program, but be aware that I wrote that program for my own personal use. It is not particularly user friendly and perhaps not even foolproof, so use at your own risk !

Kind regards
Eddy
Edited by: EddyVE

1. can you please try this in Pro/batch. you may select all drawings and say backup. I have not done this earlier, try you may get it.

I have converted a set of 200+ models from part.prt to part.iges using this batch method.

2. Also as a second method you maydo asave as of the assemblyand set config option "rename_drawings_with_object" to both and get the drawings along with models. IN this you may need to add an extra "_" at the end of the part name, since the command "sava as" demands a new name for the duplicates.

for the second method you do not need any additional licence or another application, just a foundation licence will do.

please tell us know if it is not working, also discuss what is the problem this method is associated with
Edited by: rudresh.hm

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back