Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Solidworks drawing to Pro/e drawing

straupma

Is it possible to convert a Solidworks drawing to a Pro/e drawing, and still be parametric? I've read in the Solidworks area this same question, and they said it can't be done, just parts and assemblies. But the post was back in 2006 and I'm not sure if it is still valid. If not, is there software we couldbuy that can do this?

It's still valid and I doubt there is any solution at present. STEP (and IGES both?) dabble with it but current trends seem to be a move to annotated models so I doubt much is ever going to be done to maintain complete model and 2D drawing associativity. An area to search for indicators would be 'long term data storage and retrieval'.

If only............

This country loses Billions every year working on data acrossed platforms. If someone came out with a Cad software that could read all types in a parametric format?? Wow what a pocket full of money they would have.....

I have lot of solidworks cad files which need to be converted to Pro-E creo with parametric. Can anybody suugest software or tool which does this.

You might have better luck posting a new question, but I'll give you some info.

Creo Parametric can open native SW parts, but you get a dumb solid. It's a bit smarter than STEP or IGES in that any changes to the SW can be updated in the Creo part. I'm not sure if this is in the foundation package or an add on.

I don't know if Creo will open SW assemblies in the same way.

Drawings are still a problem. The only way to import them is via DWG or DXF, which of course looses all associativity to the part or assy model.

There are some built in feature recognition tools to turn a dumb solid into a feature driven model, but I've not used them to know how well they work.

The most robust solution would be to remodel them in Creo. Depending on your situation, you might want to keep them in SW until you need to make a major change and then remodel them at that time.

Good luck.

I have lot of solidworks cad files which need to be converted to Pro-E creo with parametric. Can anybody suugest software or tool which does this.

Really the only real option to be able to utilize the original part geometry and make it editable is to use Creo Direct. You can import any model version whether iges, step, parasolids, etc. and edit the part. There is functionality in Creo/Parametric with the addition of the Direct modelling capability but it's not fully functional yet. At least not where I would like it to be. It is coming (so I've been told) but until then the full seat of Creo Direct is the only option that allows you to edit the geometry of the part.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back