Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

trajpar : a mac vs pc debate

What is a "non-geometric shape"?
smiley13.gif

I think they might have meant non-Euclidean geometric shape. I've seen that bit about Solidworks before. Every now &then I have to remind my boss when he reads another storyabout how all the TV chop shops & high school kids use SW.My experience with trajpar has been limited towavy edges& funnels until recently. Its only recentlybeen broughtto my attention how it can be used to create curvature cont surfaces. Pretty cool.

I Love Trajpar... Bart.. did I send you the model of the Predator B Wingtip... I used several trajpars in it!

This is a section of wing with highly modify'able planform, sweep, curvular dihedral and twist.... basic surface in like 9 features and 4 of'em are planes and CSYS!

Edited by: Mithrandir

Send me! I look close. I have collected a bunch of different examples of trajpar variables for training purposes. I keep learning.

Anyone know of the equivalent in SW or do you have to upgrade to Catia?

Mithrandir said:
I Love Trajpar... Bart.. did I send you the model of the Predator B Wingtip... I used several trajpars in it!

This is a section of wing with highly modify'able planform, sweep,
curvular dihedral and twist.... basic surface in like 9 features and 4
of'em are planes and CSYS!

can you pls share that model with me also

would like to study that

like you people will make us to learn by creating curiosity

thanks for making us study

Edited by: davisdony

I am not sure if 'Mithrandir' could share his model with everyone. I got the disclosure and my life signed away. But my collection of many trajpar models came from this website. Not to mention the variations I made for training purposes.

After looking at your website and seeing some of the work you do I'd really like to see what you could suggest for the projects we are working on. Unfortunately it's export controlled.

kdem said:
After looking at your website and seeing some of the work you do I'd really like to see what you could suggest for the projects we are working on. Unfortunately it's export controlled.

who - Design-engine or General atomics?

mgnt8 said:
kdem said:

who - Design-engine or General atomics?

Sorry, I meant to direct the comment to design-engine.

I'm in the US. I hoping at some point I may get the option to take some of the more advanced training classes. If so, i think the classes offered by design-engine are ones I would consider taking.

They're addinga lot of interesting stuff in WF 4.0 & apparently in upcoming releases. At the same time, it seems like PTC is kind of drifting away from the users with all their emphasis on PLM & ERP (my opinion - sorrywindchill guys). I don't see a lot of useful documentation on it other than Design-Engine. I would say if you want to learn it, there's no option - you pretty much have to take their classes.

I'm hoping PTC will release a student version of WF4 at some point since it's the only way I'm going to get any exposure to in the foreseeable future. We have access to WF2 and WF3, but mostprojects are still done in WF2. It's strange but we can download software images for WF4 because of the maintenance contract but the administrators of the systems we use haven't upgraded the licenses to support WF4.

Its too bad they don't offer Style as a standalone option as well as a bolt-on to base Pro/E. Its starting to really turn into something. Doesn't PTC offer a 30 day or 60 trial or something along those lines?

its like a race. Who ever gets a chance to try the new Redbull KTM race bike gains the most experience thus more race contingency.

By the way I spent the entire day on the race track (motorcycle track day at Autobahn) while Dell computers ID guys come in for a Alias rendering week.

BTW greg, I posted that "what country are you in" as you by accident and could not delete it. The form software must have a permissions problem.

Edited by: design-engine

design-engine said:
I posted that "what country are you in" as you by accident

No problem -You should post under my username more often so I can build up my post-count and reach 5-degree Super-MVP status.Too bad I can'tsit in on that Alias class. I've been spending the last couple days going in circles with Photolux and I'm beginning to think there's got to be a better option out there.

The workflow in Alias and Maya is set up better.... How you save
cameras, and build shaders from procedure tools such as ramps. Think
of building a texture map for a maple leaf ... only instead of doing it
in photoshop you define how many veins the maple leave has vs how many peaks. Color blends from yellow to brown depending upon what week of fall it is. All those varables are edited in a ramp. Pro/E only lets you have a bit map. 1988 style.

I could make a list (and have actually) for ramping up the render tools in Pro/E. (pun intended) I think the dell guys are impressed with what they learned in two days. They got three more.

Edited by: design-engine

Echo to Mithrandir "I love trajpar".

We put up with a lot using Pro (particularly quirky UI "innovations" and intense $$$-extraction) but things like trajpar, especially in combination with Graphs in Variable Section Sweeps are the extraordinary features that keep us loving this best-in-class geometry creation software. (The mathat the core ofPro is really top notch!)

To see a fiendishly clever use of trajpar driven VSS's look at the Hummingbird on PTC's website:

[url]http://www.ptc.com/go/wildfire/learn/advanced_geometry/index 14.htm[/url]

When you first look at the model, you would think that is made using freehand-sketch and push-and-pull industrial design techniques. That it is done the way it is is really remarkable. Download the model and look at all the critical graphs and features including the trajpar relations within the VSS sketches.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back