Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

gear

Danny DHondt

Does anyone has a model of a gear, or odesknow where to find, (the correct shape), which we can modify if necessary. At the moment we need a gear mod12, 14 teeth, contact angle 20

Thats a good question. i know there is a gear algorithm you can fill out in programs like Autocad that will generate a 3d gear. I wonder if anyone has created a gear generator for Pro/E. I guess it would be a web page to fill out... that j-link would spawn a proe session and create a gear or hob. Comments?

I seem to recall PTC had a process in the "Search the Knowledge Base" part of their website... search "Involute" or "Involute Gear"....

The gear tooth is basically defined as the path a point on a string follows as the stringwraps around a cylinder... hard to imagine.. but that is how it is defined.

<a href="http://www.filesland.com/companies/MITCalc/MITCalc.html" target="_blank" target="_blank">you can try this also
</a>

MITCalc
by MITCalc

This
multi-language calculation package includes solutions for gearing,
belt, chain, springs, beam, shaft, and many others. MITCalc support 2D
and 3D CAD systems, Imperial and Metric units and many international
standards (ANSI, ISO, DIN?.).
http://www.filesland.com/companies/MITCalc/products.html

in this software u can directly get the 3d model of the gear by editing the required data
like ( module,helix angle ,base diameter) in excel file

Edited by: keyur soni

There are lots of useful posts on modelling all sorts of gears on this site.

Try using the search function.

DB

We have a UDF that someone here built a long time ago. You have to model the correct major OD (or ID) set up an end plane and a coordinate system then place it, it has variables for you to fill in and then it does the rest.

boydt said:
We have a UDF that someone here built a long time
ago. You have to model the correct major OD (or ID) set up an end
plane and a coordinate system then place it, it has variables for you
to fill in and then it does the rest.

Hi boydt,

It will be wonderfull if you can share it with us.

Share the knowledge and it will grow,

you can sent it to me directly at [email protected]

Thanks in advance

I will send it over, with user instructions as well. If anyone else wants it just PM me your email address.

I hope you are so busy these days .

can you pls find some time to share that UDF lib with us

My next project is going to have lots and lots of gears

so pls i am at your mearcy

I expact that it will make my life ease

bureaadr said:
detailed description about gear modeling, parameters, relations in WF2, just follow the link

It is overly-detailed on the maths behind the involute equation and under-detailed on useful things like the calculation of the major and minor diameter.

Has anyone here done cycloidal gears?

DB

Hi DellBoy, are you referring to the type of gear often used in an oil pump?

If you are then the answer is yes:-

z=0
x=(a)*cos( t * 360)+b*cos(c* t * 360)
y=(a)*sin( t * 360)+b*sin(c* t * 360)

Paste this into an equation curve.

The play with the a b and c values (carefully)

The geometry can be made with an offset of the curve.

theinner rotor of a pump is one less that the outer.

let us know how you get on with it

Edited by: jbuckl

Thanks for the info but I think you have confused my request as you appear to be describing a trochoidal gear.

With the standard involute tooth form the driven gear suffers from slight cyclic variation in angular velocity due to the variation in effective contact radius which is one of the reasons for avoiding gears with low numbers of teeth.

The cycloidal profile does not have this problem.

DB

Dell_Boy said:
Thanks for the info but I think you have confused my request as you appear to be describing a trochoidal gear.

With the standard involute tooth form the driven gear suffers from slight cyclic variation in angular velocity due to the variation in effective contact radius which is one of the reasons for avoiding gears with low numbers of teeth.

The cycloidal profile does not have this problem.

DB

Hello Dellboy, the equation sent gives a hypocycloidal curve that is prescribed inside a circle. and is as you say, suitable for a trochoidal gear.(also the hypocycloid is suitable for a cyclcoidal)

Sorry its not what your after, hope the uploaded in the previous examples are.

Btw, the parametric eqations are shown in wiki:-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epicycloid

Edited by: jbuckl

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back