Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Drawing View Unexpected Movemnent

ProEngineer

Hello,

I have a simplified representation of a model and an associated drawing for the simplified rep. When adding or deleting components in the simplified rep., the drawing view moves which causes all of the BOM balloons to rearrange. I have the lock view movement turned on and it still moves. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you.

Adam

With adding or removing components the origin of the view moves. I don't know how ProE calculates origin of the view, but to avoid that behaviour, you can define custom origin, which should be fixed to a point. Then only outer limits of the view will change andin case of partial view nothing should change.

This is one fine bug in ProE....

I strongly advise to ALWAYS set a fixed origin for every (general) view in drawing mode. The most stable reference for this is the main coordinate system of the part (or else another coordinate system), since these do not change over time due to (geometrical) changes in the part.

To my knowledge, ProE by default sets the origin of a view to the centre of the entire part, including surfaces, curves, points etc. So it does NOT use the centre of the volume of the part. E.g. if you have a solid block 100x100 base and create a front view in drawing mode, then add a sketch in the part which uses a larger ground surface than the block's base, the origin will already change. How stupid is that ...

One other thing: ALWAYS associate every note, line or other object drawn in drawing mode with the drawing view to have them move along with the view when you move a view. It's done through the menu, I believe somewhere under 'Edit', 'Group' or something like that. (Don't have ProE here at home...)

You can automatically set the origin of all newly created views to a coordinate sytem by using the config.pro option drawing_view_origin_csys [default coordinate system name]. Unfortunately, if your parts and assemblies typically have differently named default coordinate systems, this will only work for one or the other.

-Andy

@atlarson.
Yes that's a very good tip I forgot about. I tried it once some time ago (WF2), but unfortunately our parts often have differently named coordinate systems. Too bad it's not possible to set the origin to the first CS in the model tree by default, independent of it's name. That would be correct fot 99,9% of my needs...

Thank you for the advice. I believe I have solved the problem of the drawing view movement by going to the view properties and selecting a point on the view as the fixed origin. However, the balloons still move. I tried the Edit--> Group but that is for draft entities. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Are only the balloons moving and does the point where the leaders are attached to the part stay in the same place?
If the leader attach point also moves you could try setting it by hand to e.g. on a point on a surface for each sinlgle balloon leader.

If only the balloon moves I have no more clues on how to tacle the problem... good luck...

I figured it out. I put in a snap line offset from the view and that way all the balloons are constrained to the snap line.

Glad to hear it works now.

One thing about the snap lines though:
When creating a snap line, select a fixed reference to offset the snap line to, since otherwise you will have the some problem as the drawing views moving now happening to your snap lines when changing the 3D size of your model...

I know this is an old thread, but it describes exactly the problem I am having. I get annotations jumping around randomly which I believe is due to snap lines. However when I try to regenerate certain drawing views I get an error saying "Highlighted snap line(s) cannot be regenerated", and I cannot even select the snap lines to delete them.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back