Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Convert General Point to XYZ Coord System

gloss151

I've researched this topic thoroughly and found no answers, please assist.
<ul>[*]I have created a spline constrained by 178 unevenly spaced Offset Coordinate System Datum Points.[/list]<ul>[*]I next created 1298 evenly spaced General Datum Points at increments of .1 around the spline through patterning.[/list]<ul>[*]I need these 1298 General Datum Points defined through an Offset Coordinate System (cylindrical or cartesian). A .pts or .txt file will suffice.[*]Solution includes steps to get 1298 XYZ Coordinates from 1298 General Datum Points
[/list]Thanks in advance for any advice you may provide.

heres a start of what should work

1 Measure the distance between the first general point and the coordinate system, using the coordinate system as a projection reference. Make it an analysis feature and output the x,y,z values as parameters.

2 Pattern the analysis feature

3.Now that those values are parameters you should be able to program inside of ProE toextract 1 long list of x,y,z values. Maybe create a table in a drawing to output to. then export as text file.

The problem with that solution is that one would need to create a spline through the 1298 pnts, which, to say the least, is time consuming. If one used the original spline it would only have the original 178 pnts in the .ibl. Anyways, I figured out another solution through a co-worker

1) create iges from curves and pnts

2) rename iges extention from .igs to .pts

3) create coordinate offset pntcloud from the new .pts file

4) save pnts in a new .pts file

5) delete the first178 points from the file and one is left with the final evenly spaced 1298 points in xyz coordinates

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back