Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Solid Edge V18 to Pro/E

johan d

Hello,

i am new here and have a few questions...

We currently work with Solid Edge V18. It is planned to switch to Pro/E (don't know which version - but hope the latest). We have about 8000 models in our current library. Is there a good way for converting them? And if possible not just make solid bodies, but keep the intelligent steps used to make them... this way it will be possible to modify the models if needed afterwards in Pro/E.

Second... What is the learning curve to switch from SE to Pro/E? Will i ever wanting to go back to Solid Edge...?

Thanks, Johan

Johan

We have done lot of conversion from SW to proe. We need to discuss in detail.

Do you have intralink? If your are interest, I would like to you to make this translation happen. you can reach me

[email protected]

We do have some translators.

Thanks and regards

Muthu

venkuds said:
Johan

We have done lot of conversion from SW to proe. We need to discuss in detail.

Do you have intralink? If your are interest, I would like to you to make this translation happen. you can reach me

[email protected]

We do have some translators.

Thanks and regards

Muthu

thanks, but i think we wantto do it ourselves...

Been on SE since V5 or V6, and acquainted with it since it started, I had to switch to ProE in 2004 (job dictates what you work with ..) When I started the first day I thought it would be an easy one. Doing CAD since the mid 90's on different systems, 3D and parametric, who would stop me ? What a disappointment ! At first it was like I couldn't get anything right anymore.

To make it short : it took me about 3 months to get basic level (what I consider basic) and 6 months to get to a level where I could do with ProE what I could with SE. In the next years I've gotten better at it than most people on the sites where I get sent to.

Lately I've been handed CATIA as the next challenge. To be honest, the change is only half as hard as it was to master ProE.

So to be honest : the learning curve is steep. Finally you get the "knack" on how to handle ProE and to make it do what you want, but it's always a bit of a "taming of the shrew". And yes, I often want to get back to SE. Things you'll miss : robustness when changing features in a model and parts in an assembly, getting there in a few clicks, F1-help that is really a help and pointing you somewhere, create new projects out of old ones while keeping most of your models and drawings, ...

Alex

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back