Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Assigning Ref des

In an assembly, go to edit>setup, and there should be a menu choice called "component name". Select the part, and you should be prompted for a new name.

To verify: edit the model tree options to display a column for ecad: ref_des and it should now show the updated name

If you are exporting this in IDF to an ECAD tool (mentor, allegro, etc.) the ref des parameter will be translated as well.

Let me know how this works out...

My ignorance prompts me to ask:

What is "reference designators"? And what's it used for?

Can you please give me an example?

Got it sorted thanks.

Reference Designators are used in electronic design when referencing IC's, connectors, resistors etc, eg, R1, R2, R3 etc for resistors. This data can be exported from ProE to a PCB layout tool.

red devil said:
Got it sorted thanks.

Reference Designators are used in electronic design when referencing IC's, connectors, resistors etc, eg, R1, R2, R3 etc for resistors. This data can be exported from ProE to a PCB layout tool.

If I understood, is it like a Commodity Code such as letter R is for resistor, letter C is for Capacitor?

red devil said:
Yup, thats right.

Thanks Red Devil. Learn a new thing today.

Your title is Contributor with 96 posts. I think, with 4 more to 100, you get a bump to Veteran.

smiley32.gif

trillicomm said:
red devil said:
Got it sorted thanks.

If I understood, is it like a Commodity Code such as letter R is for resistor, letter C is for Capacitor?

That is exactly correct. It is a standard identification method used when designing circuit boards and other electronic devices, as defined by ANSI Y32.16-1975/IEEE 200-1975.

Hope this helps!

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back