Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

creating family table for assembly

dhankumar

hai all,

i hope every one enjoying thr work

i have a problem ,i dont no how to create family table for assembly....

please help me out...

Hi.

First, youhave tomake family tables for all parts that you want to vary. Then, go to the assembly, start creating family table and select "components" that you want to vary in your family table. Then in appropriate cells (in family table) you should write exact instance names of a components. You can also use family table menu option Tools>Configure Assembly Components if you dont want to remember exact names of instances.

dhankumar - what exactly are you trying to accomplish with the family table assembly? The components do not necessarily need to be family tables themselves, the assy fam table can be used to just suppress components and create different configurations... simp reps also do this, and it is my understanding that simp reps are the preferred method.

Not sure if this answers your question or not. Again, what is your end goal here?

Simplified reps and family tables are two entirely different functions.

A simplified rep, ALWAYS, represents the same object. It may be decontented but it is always a representation of the same object. For instance all reps have the identical parameters and relations. Also simplified reps, by default, retain the mass props of the master rep.

Family tabulations allow variation from a generic item, and as such are effectively, completely different objects. Different to the extent defined in the family table.

Attempting to use a simplified rep where a tabulation should have been used, is tantamount to walking down a blind alley.

Dhanakumar,

The answer to your problem would end up in pages. I STRONGLY RECOMMEND that you read thru the help to get a step by step procedure.

Roughly it is like this.

At the assembly level, you can represent the concept (Variable parameters) in the form of sketch elements.

Create a generic assembly using the sketch elements.

Go into the family table create assemblies and for the parts use the CONFIGURATOR to drive the parts.

I wish I could post an example. Let me see. When time permits I shall post it.

mr.iyeri

thanks for you are suggestion ,i think this may work for me,when you r free please post one example

thaks a lot

Hi dhankumar

Jimshaw is right, you must know what you want to accomplish before creating a fam table in an assembly. For example, you have an assembly of part A and Part B. In Assembly 1, A and B is at their standard state, suppose you will increase a dimension in part A, the state of assembly 1 will no longer be the same thus, you create a family table to accomodate the two instances of assembly 1 with A-standard and A-modified which you can open differentlywhichever you want. You can also add as many instances as needed on whatever part of the assembly. You can click help for exact details. Fam tables are very useful during early design stage process

re

hai all,

i hope every one enjoying thr work

i have a problem ,i dont no how to create family table for assembly....

please help me out...

option b or c

All parts are generic, with string relations to create false part numbers

in all parts and assemblies create a string relation called number

in part "generic part a" relations file,

Number = "888-888"

in part "generic part b" relations,

Number = "888-889"

ect ect ect.

in the BOM for your assy drawing, the first number in your part numbers "bom regen"

it will say asm.mbr.name

change to asm.mbr.number

if you have a part or an assembly where you don't want to change their name, a generic part like nuts & bolts, they must have this in the relations

number = rel_model_name

warnings : since this is all relation driven, you can duplicate part numbers. And as always with winchill, if you copy them, circular references are a PITA

JI know this is old, but just wanted to reply to this since it is NOT necessary to create a relation to create your part number.
All you have to do is leave the part number parameter blank in the generic, add the parameter to the family table, and populate it.

option b or c

All parts are generic, with string relations to create false part numbers

in all parts and assemblies create a string relation called number

in part "generic part a" relations file,

Number = "888-888"

in part "generic part b" relations,

Number = "888-889"

ect ect ect.

in the BOM for your assy drawing, the first number in your part numbers "bom regen"

it will say asm.mbr.name

change to asm.mbr.number

if you have a part or an assembly where you don't want to change their name, a generic part like nuts & bolts, they must have this in the relations

number = rel_model_name

warnings : since this is all relation driven, you can duplicate part numbers. And as always with winchill, if you copy them, circular references are a PITA

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back