Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Spring Model Size Problem

saspinall

Anyone having problems, or noticed a problem with springs created in Wildfire 3.0 M090. I create the initial part, save the file and creates the part with a size of 45kb. I then add a helical sweep with the following dimensions, profile diameter 0.235", length 5.5", pitch5.5/70 (coils)= 0.0785, cross-section 0.039 and when the spring is created and saved, the file size jumps to 25Mb. I have 4 different springs in an assembly which is becoming unusable as the file size of the assembly, which is a resonably small assembly, ie 30 parts, is now over the 100Mb size. If I remove the springs, the file size reduces to 150Kb

Stuart

This is not just a problem with WF3, but has historically been an issue with Pro/E - it's one of the reasons cosmetic threads are so widely used: modeling threads to a screw part increases the size drastically.

Never seen it a a problem before, its only just come to light this last week, we have done springs before with no problem and when inserted into an assembly, the biggest size for any assembly is probably 10 - 15Mb.

Gonna try the same spring parameters in WF 2 and see what size it produces.

Check your WF3 M090 config.pro settings in particular for

save_display
save_model_display
compress_output_files

and make adjustments as necessary.

Also, look how have you modelled the springs.

I have assemblies totalling over 3,000 components containing around 100 helical springs complete with closed ends and no problems to load (60 - 90 seconds) or save. Admittedly none have 70 turns but there are lots with 15-30 turns.

Top level assembly has about 20 sub-assemblies and weighs in at a "massive" 64kB. Biggest sub-assembly is still under 1MB

The springs are all instances derived from a single generic with currently around 500 instances in a 3 layer table. Generic is around 560k and accelerator files are each around 150k in a test save done in M090. The crucial thing is that they are modelled with a mnimal feature count and rectangular section wire. To put fillet radii in the corners or make them from round wire makes everything much bigger and slower.

DB

Edited by: Dell_Boy

cheers dell_boy

noticed the last thing you mentioned was square v round wire. we use the round wire so maybe that is the problem

I tried our springs with both round and square wire, one thing i noticed was that when I create the part and model the round spring, its initial model size is 162KB but then when I close it down, erase it, re-open it, regenerate it, save it, the file size shoots up to 19.5Mb.

If i do the same with square section, the file size is constant at 2Mb, very strange and I dont know the answer to this

Stuart

think its a Wildfire 3.0 problem. I downloaded a compression spring from the files here at MCad which are Wildfire 2.0 files and used my spring details. In Wildfire 2.0 the file size is 1Mb but if I save it in WF3 it goes up to 19Mb

No,

I would say it is a config.pro problem. At least one of the default settings has changed between WF2 and WF3 or one of your config.pros is not being found by your new instalation

The size of my spring generic goes from 400k to 560k in WF3 M090. a slight increase but nothing to write home about.

DB

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back